SBC 400 FLEXPLATE???'s

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
Im looking for a sbc 400 externally balanced flexplate,I usually get the TCI 399373 flexplate but have been reading bad reviews on this flexplate now,so is there a good affordable sbc 400 flexplate out for sale now that is made in the USA?Thanks

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Ive ran one once with a 350 flex plate was barly noticeable motor idle was simular to a v8 with a small cam just a little waver or simular to the slightest carb load up ...can't recomend but they have been dune that way...read article said someone drilled and filled there crank weights and claimed to use titanium studs threaded(pressed) into crank weights to decrease weight on the heavy side negating the external balance

Last edited:

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I used the Summit one on my TH400/383. SFI 29.1 Blueprint motors approved. It’s actually the one I had on my TH350. 153 tooth. Been working great. No complaints.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I used the Summit one on my TH400/383. SFI 29.1 Blueprint motors approved. It’s actually the one I had on my TH350. 153 tooth. Been working great. No complaints.
Isn’t your motor internally balanced? It f yes, then that won’t work for the OP - he needs external balance

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Isn’t your motor internally balanced? It f yes, then that won’t work for the OP - he needs external balance
Yes, the motor is internally balanced. The flex plate I have is externally balanced. I purchased one recommended by Blueprint.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Blueprint engines recommended an external balanced flywheel for an internal balanced 383?

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Blueprint engines recommended an external balanced flywheel for an internal balanced 383?
I went back and looked. I had that wrong. Blueprint uses and weighted harmonic balancer and a weighted flex plate. What I do remember is I got what they recommended. An externally balanced flex plate for a one piece rear main seal.

Thank you guys.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor