sbc block question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
regalman4925 said:
i doubt this car will ever see anything over 4500-5000 rpm. stock 350 rods any better??

I think they are the same in all of the low perf applications. Pretty much any rod will work from any SBC except for ones from a 400. Heck, you could theoretically use the rods from a 1955 265 if you needed to! I would, however, at the minimum have the lightest piston matched with the heaviest rod and vice versa, to keep the balance somewhat in check. This is the way that my engine is put together and it has run over 40k miles with no problem. balancing is nice, but not absolutely necessary in a low performance application. Just be sure you use the 327 crank's harmonic balancer and not one from a 350 or 305. GM balanced all of it's cranks for the reciprocating assembly of a specific engine size. Even the 305 and 350 which share a common crank are balanced differently due to the piston weight difference.

Oh, there are better rods used in some applications, like the old "pink" rods used in engines like the LT-1 (1970-74), L82, and Z-28 302. These are forged rods and are a bit stronger than the low perf rods used in 2 barrel engines. I think some truck applications used a stronger bottom end too, many of them had the 4 bolt blocks and forged cranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor