Sbc swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
i just have a quick opinionated question. So I swapped in a Chevy 350 to my 84 cutlass supreme and the weirdest thing has been happening. It's hard to explain over text so sorry in advance I'll try my best. Basically when I first drive it and give maybe a little less than half throttle it chugs and doesn't accelerate. And it still seems like it lacks the power that it has so I'm just confused and I want to figure it out. My dad just offered me his opinion he thought of today and said that it could be from exhaust that it's getting too much back pressure because I did stick with my existing exhaust from the 3.8 v6. I also thought about that and took into consideration but after its warmed up i don't notice it and it runs fine except maybe when you open throttle it seems like there's more power than its pushing out. Sorry for any confusion and ask questions. Thanks for your help!!

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
Check the carburetor, you mentioned once the engine is warmed up you don't notice it. The choke may need adjusting, make sure it's wired up and working.

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
Okay thanks but does this matter with a throttle body? It's out of a 93 caprice so it's all computer and everything. I need to get the aldl wired up correctly so I can read some stuff and maybe then I can find the problem. Thanks for some advice I will look into it

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Few things come to mind -
I would make sure I had enough fuel pressure both at idle at WOT. Does it idle good? New fuel filter recently?
I would also make sure the exhaust was clear( clogged cat could possibly cause what you mentioned) so your Pops might be on to something.
I would double check to make sure the opti and all related wires are installed correctly and in good shape. They have been known do make wierd things happen.
I can think of a couple other things , but lets start here.

Also, what transmission are you running?

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
I have an electric fuel pump and I can't remember what pressure it runs. I think around 60 or so. But also the cat is a year old and the exhaust shouldn't be plugged. I am running the stock 250 turbo (I know it's weird but that's th transmission) I will have to make sure wires are good but I went through the whole harness and they looked in good shape. It runs good except I've noticed it almost "misses" but not like spark plug issues. Just idles down slightly then back to normal until warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor