OLDS SBO gold engine paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
True, I am not going for "correct", just a reasonable facsimile. I am also painting the A4 with the rest of the engine. All of the '70 bracketry will be black. Ceramic coated headers and wiring cleanup underhood. Should just be a clean install that functions well and looks decent.

Reactions: 1 user

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Ive used the POR 15 version of the gold, Holds up good, you can brush it on but i would recommend you use a foam brush or it can streak. Its tricky on more flat machined surfaces to get it to lay smooth but overall i like it. Cast surfaces were a breeze and it really seams to soak into the surface.

Reactions: 2 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Ive used the POR 15 version of the gold, Holds up good, you can brush it on but i would recommend you use a foam brush or it can streak. Its tricky on more flat machined surfaces to get it to lay smooth but overall i like it. Cast surfaces were a breeze and it really seams to soak into the surface.
How does it look color-wise? Wondering how it will look on valve covers when using a foam brush...

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I think POR15 is an isocyanate, so with what is it best reduced?

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Not sure what to reduce it with. If using it on a smooth surface like valve covers i would for sure spray it though. Color is brighter than what would be considered "olds gold" but it was a really good looking gold with some metallic in it.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If it is Gold with Metallic flake, sounds closer to the VHT. POR says their solvent only, 5% max. Of course they would say only their solvent.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Supposedly POR solvent is an Ethylbenzene and Xylene combination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor