SBO Question, got the numbers, no clue what engine....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pittman06

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2008
Apple Creek, Ohio
I just picked it up sunday and no one knows what engine is in this thing. Its got emissions and a throttle body manifold. the numbers on the intake are A5 and 22528212, the head is stamped 2A and 554, can anyone help me here? the emissions tag states that the car came with the 4.3

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Pittman06 said:
I just picked it up sunday and no one knows what engine is in this thing. Its got emissions and a throttle body manifold. the numbers on the intake are A5 and 22528212, the head is stamped 2A and 554, can anyone help me here? the emissions tag states that the car came with the 4.3

The 2A heads were only used on the SBO 260 (4.3 liter), so that matches the emission tag. The head casting number should be 554715, so keep looking for the other three numbers (they are usually split above the center two exhaust ports). The aluminum A5 intake is the low-flow Qjet intake used on the 85-90 roller cam 307s. Despite having small ports, it still flows way more than the minuscule 260 heads can handle. I don't know what "throttle body" manifold you have, since Olds never used TBI on any motor from the factory (although there were experimental TBI intakes cast for the SBO using the same two-hole/three bolt throttle body as the 305 SBC). Are you sure the "throttle body" intake you're talking about isn't just the stock 260 intake that used the crappy Dual Jet carb?

Pittman06

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2008
Apple Creek, Ohio
it may be, it looks like a off the wall 4 bbl or something, and then i was seein lots of wiring and emissions and with 02 sensors that just made more sense

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
If its a 4 barrel manifold and has oxygen sensor, it's your common 307 as 260's were all 2 barrel, and I believe were discontinued just before '81 when CCC came out thus they had no oxygen sensor. 260's weren't around for long thus are not to common, where 307's were made by the bazillions.

-UT-

Pittman06

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2008
Apple Creek, Ohio
i have a feeling, especially based on what joe said, the manifold has been changed from a 307 and its a 260. Did they have O2 sensors on the 260 in 82?? if so i think that'd be it

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Uncletruck said:
If its a 4 barrel manifold and has oxygen sensor, it's your common 307 as 260's were all 2 barrel, and I believe were discontinued just before '81 when CCC came out thus they had no oxygen sensor. 260's weren't around for long thus are not to common, where 307's were made by the bazillions.

-UT-

Pittman06 said:
...the head is stamped 2A and 554, can anyone help me here? the emissions tag states that the car came with the 4.3

Let's try this again. The 2A heads only came on the 260 (AKA 4.3 liter). Of course, both the intake (which we've already determined from the casting number is from a late 80s 307) and the heads can be swapped. Only the block casting number will tell for sure.

Pittman06

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2008
Apple Creek, Ohio
sounds right, i need to get numbers off the block, regardless i'm yankin it out of there, just makin sure it wasn't something special by some chance, on to get ahold of the guy who wants to give me a "awesome" deal on a 455 crate engine thats never been ran

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
joe_padavano said:
I don't know what "throttle body" manifold you have, since Olds never used TBI on any motor from the factory (although there were experimental TBI intakes cast for the SBO using the same two-hole/three bolt throttle body as the 305 SBC). Are you sure the "throttle body" intake you're talking about isn't just the stock 260 intake that used the crappy Dual Jet carb?

1979 Cadillac Sevilles came with a Fuel Injected 350 Olds rated at 170hp

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac//cad1970/cad79s.htm

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
88hurstolds said:
joe_padavano said:
I don't know what "throttle body" manifold you have, since Olds never used TBI on any motor from the factory (although there were experimental TBI intakes cast for the SBO using the same two-hole/three bolt throttle body as the 305 SBC). Are you sure the "throttle body" intake you're talking about isn't just the stock 260 intake that used the crappy Dual Jet carb?

1979 Cadillac Sevilles came with a Fuel Injected 350 Olds rated at 170hp

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac//cad1970/cad79s.htm

Which was a PORT injected intake using an ancient analog computer. My original statement stands - Olds never offered a TBI engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor