Sealed Beam opinions and preferences...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RynoC23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2012
Florida
Hey all. Currently building an '85 SC Monte and to this point its still a driving project until I get to the motor swap portion of it. Anyways, one of the sealed beam headlights seal has broken and is collecting water, so time to replace them. I was curious as to some of your opinions on replacements for them??? I've got digital HIDs in an '02 SS that I like, but despite the plug and play part of it, it was such a pain in the *ss to get two ballasts that work and continue to work without having to keep warrantying them every 6 months so would rather NOT go that route again. Any preferences that any of you have (and why) for replacement headlights?? Thanks. Ryan.

Attachments

• latest.jpg
    latest.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 530

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Do you need something that is brighter than a standard halogen sealed beam, or do you just like the appearance of a brighter light? Do you use the car much after dark, or in areas where there are no street lights. If not, then a standard halogen sealed beam is probably all you need, and they'll probably last longer than the HIDs.

RynoC23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2012
Florida
I do like the look and brightness of the clean white bulbs and prefer them over the "yellow" look of the standard bulbs while driving at night, which is often.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If your ballasts are burning out then check to see if the lites are flickering cause that is hard on the ballast. I still have one ballast that is 5 years old and my other ones are a few years old. I have hella conversion lenses that I like cause they have a pattern beam. I use 4300 K which is the OEM color and does better than the 6000 k and much better than the 6000 k in the rain. The 4300 has a yellow tint to when new but turns whiter as it get broken in. I would never go back to any bulb that I have used in the past.

don4life

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2014
ive got a set of headlights off ebay that use H4 bulbs and HIDs for the low beams plus the wiring harness that will prevent it from overloading the stock headlight switch $45 dont have it all together yet but seems like a solid setup

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Ryno & all; For years (since 1968) I ran the H4's, usually Cibi's, but they (early ones) weren't sealed. So in moist conditions they would deteriorate fast. The newer ones from the 80's were called Bobbies and sealed the reflector, maybe that's all you can find now days. Hell they could be out of business by now! Hella would still make an H4's. Good choice for the $$$. If weight is a consideration, check out Wagner plastic halogen sealed beams & the Silver star's are OK. Bob Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor