Search Engine - Do you know what it is? (RANT!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I may be going too far by posting about this but to everyone who is new to this website, when you click on a certain forum topic, there is a search engine at the top that you can type in whatever you want and it will search that topic in that particular section.

I'm tired of people asking the same d*** question over, and over, and over again when we just got done doing a full post and explanation over that topic. Between 7.5 to 8.5 rear ends, swaps to a 350sbc, or these suspension questions, we've answered all of them more than 10 times a piece already. USE THE SEARCH ENGINE! You will probably find a dozen posts relating to your question.

I'm not trying to be hostile towards anyone, just seems monotonous answering the same questions every week that keep popping up.

Re: Search Engine - Do you know what it is?

no kidding i havent even been on the site that long but it seems like in the last few months people have started asking the same damn questions constantly without even searching. if they dont search they post in a completely wrong section asking questions about transmissions in the for sale section or stupid sh*t like that. maybe i have lost all patience....but damn! i want to get information on stuff to but how can i do that with the same sh*t being asked repeatedly? SEARCH FIRST!!!!!!

I blame the "gotta have it yesterday" mentality that unfortunately has grown with the internet. God forbid one of these guys should actually read a book on cars. I mean what would they do if the whole damn net crashed tomorrow? If you own a certain car, get the factory manual and read the friggin' thing. I'll bet they never even read the owner's manual still wrapped in plastic in the glove box. That said, I allways try to give an answer that is a bit long winded and in depth because I know someone with no previous knowledge is probably reading it. I would hate to give the impression a dangerous procedure is safe and easy, like changing springs. But of course if they had read the book or at least searched the topic, they would be prepared.

Dang someone pee in your Cheerios this morning or something? Chill out. This place should be fun and informative for people to come and learn about these cars and get help with their problems not have their heads torn off because you think they should search harder. If it bugs you so much ignore the posts and let others deal with it.

Also fun fact sometimes when you search for things using the forum search function it ignores part of your search string because it is to common or short making it hard to find information about certain topics.

I'm sure you have never asked anything on here that has been answered already. Right?

Go work on your car or something instead of complaining.

yeah, but somethings have been discussed over and over.
there's also the generic search engines. one member asked for flow data on a set of heads. it took me 30sec to find 2 links through google and i said so. he got all pissy about that. hey, if you tried to look...

BTW, does anyone know the biggest set of wheels and tires I can fit on my ______?

Just a wonderin'........

:rofl:

we're nice about asking the same question over and over again,i know other forums where the members get really pissed when someone new posts a question repeatively without searching.I am sick of it too.

I wanna soupe ma 307 up,anyone do this before?
:roll:

This forum is great! And yes, people ought to use the search function.

But I try to tell myself that someone who knows a little less than me (is there really that many people?), who are needing advice, and figure that the knowledgable members here can remember what it was like to be that impetuous......I get aggravated too, but for all those repeat questions, I think everyone handles themselves very well..........

:wink:

i have to be honest... after searching for 307 help so many times with out getting results that answer my questions, i kind of gave up on using the search engine. and my luck on google isn't much better. i gues i'm the only person in the world who is naive enough to buy a 307, rebuild it, then shove it into another car.

but here's the thing... if you're tired of answering the same old questions,... then don't answer them. ignore them. personally, i love to hear myself talk, i'm a little self absorbed if you must. if the question is generic, use the search engine, but if it applies to a specific situation, a problem you've encountered, i.e. rough idle and lots of black smoke, just post a new thread. i mean, if you don't know what to search for, then how the hell can you find a previous thread?

2fit661ca said:
i have to be honest... after searching for 307 help so many times with out getting results that answer my questions, i kind of gave up on using the search engine. and my luck on google isn't much better. i gues i'm the only person in the world who is naive enough to buy a 307, rebuild it, then shove it into another car.

but here's the thing... if you're tired of answering the same old questions,... then don't answer them. ignore them. personally, i love to hear myself talk, i'm a little self absorbed if you must. if the question is generic, use the search engine, but if it applies to a specific situation, a problem you've encountered, i.e. rough idle and lots of black smoke, just post a new thread. i mean, if you don't know what to search for, then how the hell can you find a previous thread?

I can't say I've thought the same about your stateement about the 307, :wink: , but I do agree that if someone comes here because there are very knowledgable people, then I say oblige them. I don't know everything myself, and have found the search engine to be, ambuguous at times, but all in all this is a rant. Sometimes we need a rant, just remember why we are here, and like this forum, and our cars of choice. I know all of you have helped me. And I have proibably asked a question that has been covered.

As long as we rant, and can get the point across without alienating anybody, we are all the better for it!

Rant on!! Let's blow off some steam!
:twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor