Sears circleing the bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I know Sears is supposed to be going out of business but the amount of advertising would say otherwise. So I need some tires and I made up an online order. They said my remaining local store had these common 195-65-15 tires in stock so I ordered 4. All was well until today when I got an email saying my order was cancelled/out of stock. WTF?!? I should have been suspicious because I also wanted a Marine battery but they would not ship it to my store from the only store that had it which was 50 miles away. Oh well, the end is near.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yes it is. It's kinda sad too. I saw Lowe's is now touting itself as the "official home of Craftsman tools". Hate to see it go but Sears' business model was fugged up for many many years and it's lucky to have stuck around this long. Stodgy company that resisted progress. Used to be at least one of a cornerstone store(s) of many a sprawling mall complex across the U.S. My dad always used to say Sears had next year's prices this year. I remember in Chicago we'd go to the Sears store as a kid for shopping trips and I was always amazed at the gigantic candy counter they had. OMG a kid could die of sugar intake...heaven.

I never had a credit card until 1985. The first two I got were an Amoco and a Sears card. In 1985. Had the Amoco card for a couple of months when I went to Sears to have the oil changed in my 85 442 that I had about 6 months at that point. They had a killer deal on it. The sales guy also said I could get a lifetime alignment on the car at 1/2 off if I opened a Sears account. I said the car was almost new. But they went ahead anyway and I got my account and the lifetime alignment. Wow, everything was still in alignment. Who'd have though? Later, I recall around 1996 or 1997, I had them do an alignment on the car. When I showed them the paperwork, they were like, dude, we don't offer this lifetime alignment any more, but hey, it's free.

And the tool warranty? Couldn't beat it. I recall the days they gave you NEW tools when you brought back a broken ratchet or something. Several years ago they started giving you "refurbished" junk. You really had to do some crazy shi t to break those things in the old days. Ratchets could be hammers too. :giggle:

But I digress. I have more Sears stories, but it'll be sad to see the official ending of Sears.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I was just in the Westminster, MD store yesterday, and it was almost completely empty; they're selling mannequins, shelves, displays, everything. I did pick up a 6 piece set of Extreme Grip Craftsman screwdrivers for $28.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
It makes me a bit sad too. I used to love to browse the sears tool department.

I bought a new table saw 30+ years ago that I still use.

Once the lifetime warranty on hand tools was dropped, I never went back in a Sears store.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I know Sears is supposed to be going out of business but the amount of advertising would say otherwise. So I need some tires and I made up an online order. They said my remaining local store had these common 195-65-15 tires in stock so I ordered 4. All was well until today when I got an email saying my order was cancelled/out of stock. WTF?!? I should have been suspicious because I also wanted a Marine battery but they would not ship it to my store from the only store that had it which was 50 miles away. Oh well, the end is near.

That happens to me all the time when I order G body parts online, especially Rockauto.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Kind of ironic that a company who died because they were unable/unwilling to compete in the online shopping world had a hand in inventing the internet. Any of you old guys remember Prodigy?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Keep in mind the end of Sears won't be a sad end for all, the guy running the buisness into the ground is going to walk away with a nice golden parachute he's packing himself. Maybe Walmart would of done a better job with running/ruining Sears.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Sears is going out of business but they are paying their executive's millions of dollars while sticking it to the store workers. Sears won't get another cent out of my family. Another case where the rich get richer and the working man is stiffed .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor