Self driving cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Google and other companies are working on self driving cars. They are predicting that driving a car will become a thing of the past. Personally I don't like the idea of self driving cars as it is surrendering freedom for a minor convenience. Also if the day should come to pass that all modern cars on the road are self driving, would old manual driven cars be banned since they would not be support by whatever control networks are used? Then there are concerns about criminal hacking of self driving car and even government abuse with overrides. Anyone else concerned about this?

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
You're ready to just give in to whatever future google predicts? Who are they? Prophets? If google tries to take over the highways I'm going straight into Simon Phoenix mode. :rofl:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Some states, such as CA (of course :roll: ) FL, and MI have alreay created laws for self driving cars, such as they must have manual controls and having able driver onboard. It may not be a sky is falling scenario but it is probably not something hotrodders and gearheads should ignore either. Personally I don't see how such a system could work out in rural areas yet. Then again cityfolk usually don't care about rural areas.

gmparts

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
Yea wait till the computer software crashes or there is a glitch, its going to be fun. i have 2 tow trucks on standby.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
Self driving or not, there's no way in Hades that I'm going to be seen in the likes of this crap! :wtf:

140528102551-google-selft-driving-car-story-top.jpg

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It looks like a clown car. It even has a clown face!

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
What worries me is lets say a school bus full of orphans comes around a really sharp corner that your self driving car is on the other side of and there is no way to avoid an accident other than hit the bus and risk killing you and the orphans or driving off of a guard railed cliff and just killing you and saving the orphans i can make that choice but how would a self controlled car make that choice? Would it just shutdown as a fail safe or just keep on the route google maps has given it? Im not gonna get into it any deeper.

Anyways as far as im concerned driving is supposed to be an experience. An enjoyment of the open road and freedom. I drive to work everyday and back and i can understand how that can be tiring but i still enjoy it. And i get tired of the suits and other stupid people who just see cars as an appliance and thinking driving in itself is just an inconvenience

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Do you think they will have a "dummy" steering wheel on one side so we can at least pretend we are driving.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Well, personally...I have to say that the idea of giving up control of the car to a computer sounds pretty horrific. However, the lack of attention that many drivers are paying these days is also becoming pretty scary as well. In time, most people will have little fear of being driven around by a robot. And, u have to admit that the insurance and tax savings will be a nice relief. Mercedes Benz has already started the ball rolling with their vehicles featuring lane correction and automatic braking. I think most of the highways' will be auto driving roads to start with...and the rural roads will follow later....just my.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor