Self driving cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
I am not a huge fan of the idea, and I agree that it will be years before it hits the mainstream. I can not see there being complete control by the computer for decades due to safety concerns. Audi just did a test over 500 miles, but the vehicle will only operate on open highways due to safety concerns. I also can not imagine it not having manual controls due to parking situations. Can a computer park the car? Yes, but at this point, the parallel park, not finding a spot at the local parts house.
Driving on the open road, the idea could be appealing to some, but most of those would be "set it and sleep" kind of people and I do not think the auto makers would want that. Again, safety. Most of us gear heads would not even use it on the open road because the drive is what we are after.
Try not to worry too much people. It will not be the end of the automotive world for some time.

Attachments

• Audi Connect.jpg
    Audi Connect.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 260

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Really, what is the point of a self-driving car, anyway? I could see it having uses in delivery services, roadway monitoring/inspection, Google street view lol, law enforcement/emergency, or military uses (big DARPA desert challenge a few years back anyone?) From a purely research point of view, there are lots of uses for the results, especially in machine recognition and automation.....

...but not for ferrying passengers around. That's why trains and buses were invented. Get a cab. Catch the subway. It's a solution looking for a problem.

And enough with the politics. This isn't a political issue. Nobody is shoving this down your throat. Come on, turn off the talk radio and snap out of it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Municipalities depend on income from traffic tickets so I doubt we'll see self driving cars for many decades to come

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I came out swinging w strong statements but I must elaborate that I actually have no problem w the self-driving car. Only if it be mandated. It's a conflict of self-serving interest when a piece of technology gets mandated. Imagine how different history might have been, and how much closer to mandated self-driving cars we would be if the Al Gore campaign had actually won. Oh wait, they did win but ... well, nevermind. I still find it annoying I 'have' to buy CFL bulbs in many locations these days. I would use the CFL bulb in most areas of the house anyway but I'd like to be able to buy regular bulbs when I want to for more light in places like the basement... I don't like a touchscreen phone either but it doesn't bother me b/c it's not required.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
The "freedom" to drive when, where, why and how we wish is the root of the issue, just like the freedom of choice to wear a helmet or a seat belt...and once big brother has determined that what you choose could cost insurance companies more money, they usually make a law or mandate a technology to remove that choice. Heck, you cant even own a drivers license without having insurance on a vehicle...wtf? :blam:

In the case of self driving cars, the insurance companies would surely lose out, because the accident rates would fall and the need for uninsured motorist coverage would disappear altogether. And, as already stated, the amount of revenues collected for speeding tickets, dwi cases, etc would also vanish. (This is also the reason why you dont have to blow into a tube to start your car, which would save thousands of lives every year). It's ultimately about the money...not safety.

And, if this actually does come to pass...I can imagine that we will see self driving licenses/insurance policies...and manual driving licenses/insurance policies.... IE...The rich people who can afford high insurance rates and expensive license fees will be zooming by you in the fast lane at 100mph while you're playing candy crush in your electric commuter pod going 50..... :puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor