SEM dye matching colour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here's what yo need to make life easier, the color codes. In my PPG book list it as darl claret, GM just called it claret. The GM code is 79. PPG codes which can be used for cross referencing is 50994 for semi gloss & 50996 for low gloss (dash & other reflective prone areas). Even though '85-'88 claret looks simular but not dispite using 79 as the code for those years. Any automotive paint supplier should have access to interior colors in the brand(s) they sell. In my opinion I would suggest PPG but others here have had great experiances with SEM.
FYI, there is never a guarantees on a 100% match due to age, plastic color lots used & variance between plastic, vinyl, cloth & painted metal.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On my 86' Regal I used GbodyParts 1591 Burgundy to paint my center console, steering column and wheel.
The dash and all of the other plastic pieces are still original factory color

20220601_154700 (1).jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Last time I did some interior parts on my car I had 2 qts. mixed Up, one for plastic, one for metal parts.
when I couldn’t get them done at work, we had a paint department, I use these spray bombs. Yiu mix the paint with the correct reducer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Last time I did some interior parts on my car I had 2 qts. mixed Up, one for plastic, one for metal parts.
when I couldn’t get them done at work, we had a paint department, I use these spray bombs. Yiu mix the paint with the correct reducer.
That must have been quite a while ago. PPG discontinued DDL back in 2018. Did you use that on the metal or plastic ?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This is my method & I have some DDL in reserve.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
I used the above paint on the metal pillar covers, speaker grill, hard plastic trim on the t tops, console and lid, Dye , the dye looked crappy on the pkg tray, no one had one in camel, I did find a nOS GM camel pkg tray, so I’ll swap it out. Sell it in Dayton.
the factory one, the cardboard and the vinyl is dif. Yiu can spot a SEM car, it looks like it’s been dipped. All the same color.

Last edited:

Str8sixfan

Apprentice
Jul 17, 2022
I'm deep in the middle of this on my Grand Prix build. Am happy to mail out my color chart to someone if they want/need it to help them make choices -

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You can spot a SEM car, it looks like it’s been dipped. All the same color
I heard SEM is coming out with multi-shade packages which will be 3 slight variations of the same color so all of your panels won't match exactly, just like the factory. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor