Set timing, now it smokes!!!??!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
My 383 was at about 2* initial when i timed it sunday, i set it at 8 and there was a small amount of smoke, so i advanced it to 12* initial and now its smoking like a siv, runs 10000009990% better and much better gas mileage, WTF is going on!??

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Where is the smoke coming from. Just want to be clear. From the tailpipes, or from somewhere else? Also what color is the smoke?

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
White from tail pipes, all fluids are good, dont have scent to it but it IS THERE! none stop at idle or driving

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Dunno man... maybe if it's really bad, do a compression test on each cylinder to make sure the head gasket doesn't have any small leaks.

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
THat was my plan. I just dont know why it would start when i get the timing where it likes it???

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
It might seem like it "likes" it, but maybe it's just an illusion. You sure it's running smoother, has more power, no pinging, etc..? Also it could be you're running too rich.

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
Could it just be condensation in the exhaust? By advancing the timing you are making changes and internal temps can change. Does the smoke go away after being driven? My 82 will puff out a grayish white steam when I start it up in the garage. But outside it is different and doesnt smoke, due to the climate change.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Is it just while it's cold, or all the time? If it's all the time, watch your coolant level to see if it goes down, if it does you can figure there's probably a head gasket issue. If it's just while it's cold, it could be due to condensation/humidity & cool air. On the other hand, if it's actually a mechanical issue, it may have just so happened to be failing the same time you altered the timing. Does it run hot/cold?

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
There is absoloutely positively NO coolant issues, driven everyday for 6 months never added a drop. Runs at about 190 degrees on a hot day in traffic. and its not just from being a cold engine, it is operating temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor