E4ME carb settings

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
WTF?

Did a bit more digging on this carb 17081201 this morning. Apparently it was used on the 81 Chevy/GMC trucks with 305 and manual transmission. And am I reading this right? It is NOT a CCC carb? Talks about a power piston kit in the parts listing. From what I understand, Chevy/GMC pickup trucks got computer controlled carbs sporadically but not all over the place in the early 80s. Could be wrong on that.

If you need this particular carb to be running on a CCC system, it won't. Nothing but a dash for the M/C solenoid kit in the parts listings. Which means it wasn't used on this carb. So if you need CCC settings, you'll need a different carb.

So what's the carb that's going to be used on? Because those settings I listed above were for a CCC controlled engine.

The 17084201 is found on Impala/Caprice and non-SS Monte Carlo in 1984. It IS computer controlled and would use the settings mentioned previously. That's why I assumed that's where it was ending up at.

There are several fairly clean examples of the 4201 carb on ebay, but without knowing what the end game here is, I'm no longer going to guess. The only setting that is hard in stone on these CCC carbs is the primary rod lean stop. It's 1.304" set by the gauge tool, and that's it. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOUCH THE LEAN STOP AGAIN. Doing so could murder your carb settings. The rich stop allows total travel of the M/C solenoid paddle up off the lean stop of 1/8" plus/minus 1/32". This sets up your dwell "window" of sorts. The four point carbs use the idle air bleed valve's (IABV) initial setting of 1.756" as a starting point. You may have to tweak that a bit along with the mixture screws to get your dwell readings "centered".

Trust me, for anyone who has done this, or will do this, it is somewhat a PITA to get the settings right on a CCC carb. But if you bother to get the carb set up as exact as possible, you will have many miles of smiles. Because if your carb settings are off, you're going to have a bad day most days trying to get it to run right.

Last edited:

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
That carb is older than 1984. The year is 1 meaning 1981, with code 201 which doesn't mean much. The only thing you HAVE to worry about using that carb number for is the rebuild kit. Ironically, the FIRST carb on the E4ME listing is a 17081202. Doesn't even show a 201.

Anyway, assuming it's an 84 system setup it will live in, the carb that you SHOULD be using most likely is 17084201. With the 4 for the 1984 model year. Still a 305 H, but if it's in a 1984 car, you are running the 1984 system, so it's probably best to set the carb up for the car, not the original settings for a 1981.

Obviously, the primary lean stop will be set with the tool gauge at 1.304"

The IAB valve initially gets set at 1.756" with the Shepard's hook tool, and then once on the car, you do the final adjustments with the dwell meter.

Carb screw minimum idle speed is 475 in drive, ISC solenoid max is 750 in drive.

Rich stop is set where max travel of the M/C solenoid paddle is 4/32" (why can't they ever say 1/8"??? Probably because of the little scale on the measuring tools) This is of course, +/- 1/32" so take that into account as well.

The TPS is set at 0.48V at curb idle.

Vaccuum break angle is 27 degrees of choke blade angle when fully retracted.

Mixture needles are set at 3- 3/32 turns CCW. (Interestingly, all other 84 E4ME carbs start out at either 3 or 3-3/8 turns CCW.)
As with anything else, it's a 4 point adjustment carb, so the mixture screws and IAB settings are starting points.
Might have misread that carb number. It's still on the car and it's a little dirty. 4201 is probably what it was. Appreciate the specs. Now the fun begins.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
WTF?

Did a bit more digging on this carb 17081201 this morning. Apparently it was used on the 81 Chevy/GMC trucks with 305 and manual transmission. And am I reading this right? It is NOT a CCC carb? Talks about a power piston kit in the parts listing. From what I understand, Chevy/GMC pickup trucks got computer controlled carbs sporadically but not all over the place in the early 80s. Could be wrong on that.

If you need this particular carb to be running on a CCC system, it won't. Nothing but a dash for the M/C solenoid kit in the parts listings. Which means it wasn't used on this carb. So if you need CCC settings, you'll need a different carb.

So what's the carb that's going to be used on? Because those settings I listed above were for a CCC controlled engine.

The 17084201 is found on Impala/Caprice and non-SS Monte Carlo in 1984. It IS computer controlled and would use the settings mentioned previously. That's why I assumed that's where it was ending up at.

There are several fairly clean examples of the 4201 carb on ebay, but without knowing what the end game here is, I'm no longer going to guess. The only setting that is hard in stone on these CCC carbs is the primary rod lean stop. It's 1.304" set by the gauge tool, and that's it. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOUCH THE LEAN STOP AGAIN. Doing so could murder your carb settings. The rich stop allows total travel of the M/C solenoid paddle up off the lean stop of 1/8" plus/minus 1/32". This sets up your dwell "window" of sorts. The four point carbs use the idle air bleed valve's (IABV) initial setting of 1.756" as a starting point. You may have to tweak that a bit along with the mixture screws to get your dwell readings "centered".

Trust me, for anyone who has done this, or will do this, it is somewhat a PITA to get the settings right on a CCC carb. But if you bother to get the carb set up as exact as possible, you will have many miles of smiles. Because if your carb settings are off, you're going to have a bad day most days trying to get it to run right.
Thanks for the additional info. I've experienced how the car runs when the carb settings are off.....horrible. But when they're right it's a damn good carb that saves some gas.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor