shift linkage not working with new headers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the modification i had to make to my collector flange in order for the linkage to clear. This is a factory floor shift car, not column.
6224816253_38e2b2f88a_b.jpg

6225335072_a33d253b20_z.jpg

Flowtech just got back to me today and here is the email.................Hello, Mike. Quality Control sent me an email today, and while I can't do anything to help the situation, I can lend some insight. Apparently, the shift linkage is different between the Olds cars, and the Chevy's. Two options are one, return the headers to the place of purchase, or buy the lokar linkage kit to move the assembly inboard towards the transmission. QC gave me that information and said that when the next catalog comes out, there will be a note made. Sorry, but my hands are tied at this point.

you might be able to get a chevy linkage and adapt it to your car. it's worth a trip to the junkyard

im not to keen on the idea of heating the headers up to move them, thats alot of heat to get those things to move. my suggestion is to keep the headers and put in a floor shift. like i said before i have had several small blocks and big blocks in my 78 and the shift linkage in question would never fit, the last time i tried to get it to fit in the current big block with hooker's bbc swap headers i would not be able to get the car to shift out of park with that linkage, so out it went. then again my 78 does have factory floor shift, i just wired in a toggle switch to activate the reverse lights and i dont really need the neutral safety switch since i know not to start the car in drive

Here is what i did to mine. Mine is a sb chevy and the brecket was hitting the hedder when going into first gear. Removed the bracket and cut it in half between the rod and where it bolts to the transmission. bolted the pice back on the transmission, installed the other piece onto the rod, this will give u a general idea what u have to cut next and where u have to position the pice that the rod goes thru. when all that was done i tacked it back together whaile still on the transmission then removed it and welded it solid and works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor