Shifter cable

DPF 84 Hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2020
My question is Can I use the factory cable floor shift and the factory shift rod (attached to column /neutral safety switch) on my 4l60 swap
Car is 84 hurst with factory lightning rods
Originally 200r4
I would like to keep as stock as possible and everything working correctly
I’m going to be doing this part of the project this weekend and have all the factory parts from the 200 r4 (cable and brackets that connected to the old transmission)
If anyone has done this specifically please help
If I need to buy anything please just list what works. Thank you in advance

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I don't know for sure, but it appears you're going to have to fabricate an adapter or a modified cable bracket to bolt onto the trans pan bolts. Just a guess. Doubt they'd be in the same relative locations as a 200-4R. Also, while I'll bet the backdrive linkage may bolt up, the concern is where is the selector shaft location compared to the 200-4R selector shaft location? If it lands in the same spot, the backdrive should bolt up.

Then comes the rotational selection. If you require a longer or shorter fulcrum on the shift lever that bolts to the selector shaft for changing gears, you'll need to find the sweet spot for the length of the lever. I don't swap around shifters and transmissions, so that's not a concern for me, but I'm sure someone has done this and has more insight. Either way, the preceding is something that will need consideration if you want to add the stock L/R setup back into the equation.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor