shifter linkage?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikezurlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2016
ok so heres my dilema, IF i set my linkage into the bracket the holds it steady bolted to the newly installed th350 then i cant turn my key back far enough to take the key out, now if I pop it out of the bracket, I have full use of my key and tumbler and I just dont understand it. Anyone had this issue with a th350 swap? Or any ideas on how to fix it?

Last edited:
Column or floor shifter? Did you swap transmissions? There is an adjustment on the rod coming down from the steering column. Loosen the bolt and slip the rod up or down a millimeter or two and retighten.

Column or floor shifter? Did you swap transmissions? There is an adjustment on the rod coming down from the steering column. Loosen the bolt and slip the rod up or down a millimeter or two and retighten.

Floor shifter and yeah, th350 swap, was a 200r4

You'd have to make sure the linkage is adjusted properly in relation to the column bowl selector. If not, it can keep you from removing the key when you think it's in park position.
I know...I had the same problem when I converted over to floor shift.
It should be easily rectified with a simple adjustment.

You'd have to make sure the linkage is adjusted properly in relation to the column bowl selector. If not, it can keep you from removing the key when you think it's in park position.
I know...I had the same problem when I converted over to floor shift.
It should be easily rectified with a simple adjustment.

do you have any pictures of the "column bowl selector"

I don't have any pictures, but it's the part of the column that turns, or swivels when you shift gears. Make sure the collar, or bowl is in the park position, then adjust the linkage rod accordingly. Also make sure all the bushings at both ends of the linkage are in good shape, or else it's going to wreak havoc of the way the gears are selected.
Apparently, the key cannot be removed in any other gear but park.

He's referring to the shift indicator on the column. With the transmission in park, loosen the adjuster bolt on the clamp on the link rod. Move the shifter handle until the key can be turned. Tighten the bolt and see where the shifter ends up when in 'Drive'. If necessary, the orange or red indicator pointer position can be tweaked by moving the clip that clamps onto the bottom of the plastic column surround.

He's referring to the shift indicator on the column. With the transmission in park, loosen the adjuster bolt on the clamp on the link rod. Move the shifter handle until the key can be turned. Tighten the bolt and see where the shifter ends up when in 'Drive'. If necessary, the orange or red indicator pointer position can be tweaked by moving the clip that clamps onto the bottom of the plastic column surround.

My shift indicator is on the floor, not on the column though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor