Shipping Big Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

am4blue

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2009
Garden City, Mi
My in-laws live in the Florida (between Ocala and Orlando) and I want to fly down and look around for some parts for my 84 Regal. I need both doors, quarter patch panels, a header panel and possibly a front bumper. I think that the airlines will frown on me trying to carry on the parts :lol: so I need to make arrangements to ship them back to Michigan. What is the easiest/cheapest way to do this? All together or in separate packages?

Also, anyone know of any u-pick-it or other kinds of salvage yards in the area which might have decent, rust free parts?

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
D

What about renting a vehicle while your there to stuff all your parts in and then drive back instead of flying?

yeah, rent a u-haul and that way on the drive back maybe you could stop and look at a few other junkyards while your in the south

If you are close to Orlando, you could Google salvage yards, and see what comes up. Also, I would suggest going to a web site called mandmspee.com . Chances are he's got what you need, he specializes in G-body stuff. If you join the site forum(it's free)you get DISCOUNTS on all purchases, even from the on site SpeedShop, plus he ships all over the U.S. and I think Canada. 😀 Give him a call, that's free too!! :lol: ...........................mickey-d 😛

There are great deals on rental cars just after spring break, but I hate the drive back to Michigan. I'd rather just fly in, stay for a few days to pull and ship my parts, then fly back home. I did not enjoy the ride back last year.
Anyone deal with shipping companies for smaller scale parcels like this?

I did see a few u pull it places in the Orlando area. Just want to come up with some locals' suggestions.

UPS freight. Helps if you bring it to their terminal and pick it up at their terminal in MI or have it shipped to a "business" address. Um am4blue's custom auto parts? Their may be other freight companies down their that are cheaper. It may or may not be cost effective. Also you have to look at shipping (packaging) things different ways depending on weight & size sometimes two smaller packages are cheaper than a large one. Ask them they might also have some used pallots out back that you can get for free. Some things don't have to be palloted or boxed just some clear tape for the address etc. Get creative. Also check out www.uship.com If you get enough stuff or if freight is too high this can be cost effective. Let them know you are somewhat flexible as to when you receive it. They will find other stuff to take up and back down to make their trip more profitable.

If you put it in a crate you can get a freight company to ship. I have used Yellow Freight. UPS Freight is pretty good, too. The bus companies will do it sometimes (Greyhound) if you can take it to the station and pick it up there.

If you live near a bus terminal, consider shipping by Greyhound. Don't laugh. I shipped an A-body fender nearly across country by Greyhound and it cost about $60. As for the Uhaul option, have you actually priced one-way rentals?

The only good Uhaul deal is a trailer because you get unlimited miles for around $10/day. Anything else kills you on the mileage.

No you can't come down here and take our rust free parts. Dat ain't right :wtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor