Should I really worry about my G-Body getting stolen?

D you have an anti-theft device on your G-Body?

• Yes

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
I miss my 87

1983ss454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2010
Ludlow MA
Mines in a locked garage, and most people in their 20's don't even know how to drive a muncie. Honestly if they want it that bad, they can take it. The insurance is more then I put into it. No way I'm ever getting in my car and flipping 3 different kill switches, and then holding a button on the dash while I turn it over. And obviously a column cover on a show car looks stupid, so not an option either

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
You can wire a latching relay, and push a button after you've turned the key on (or while you turn it on). Depending on how it's wired (and how many are wired), you can set it up to basically kill power to the entire car, and unless they know what 'special button' to push (could be anything that has a momentary switch) along with having the ignition key on, there's no way they're getting the car started because (again, depending on how everything is wired) the latching relay setup is automatic - as soon as you turn off the ignition, the relay releases, killing power to the car. That way you can have one master switch, and it can be in plain sight where nobody will see. I'll send you a PM on MalibuRacing about another trick I read about, I actually think it may have been on here.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I'm getting ready to put a dash in my car and I'd be interested in knowing what you put *under your dash, way up there* as a security feature. PM me if you read this.

Mike, you lived in Carbondale, huh? I'm not that far from there but I work in Mt. Vernon and it's almost as bad in some areas there. Thankfully, I don't live there.

If anyone else would like to PM me some ideas on how they secure their car I'd be interested. I've got to finish the EFI wiring install, install the dash, and then drop in the engine and wire it up. Now's the time to add some security. I'd be interested in both hidden and stock switches.

I've also thought about using an older headlight dimmer switch mounted on the floor to activate a relay for an ignition interupt. Hopefully they wouldn't have the time to realize these cars have the actual dimmer on the turn signal.

If I was a wiring guru, I'd like to wire in a timer on my electric fuel pump that shuts off the pump after say 1 minute if you don't de-activate something. You could also wire in a door lock to lock them in if the pump shuts off (like the *bait cars on TV). Caught red handed! Sitting in the middle of traffic, car won't re-start, and they can't get out...with the horn blaring loudly ...

Any other ideas? If I shoot, I shoot to kill. I want them to remember how they f_cked up!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
86Cutlass383SR said:
If I was a wiring guru, I'd like to wire in a timer on my electric fuel pump that shuts off the pump after say 1 minute if you don't de-activate something.

The easiest thing would be to just install a kill switch for the fuel pump so that it wouldn't run at all.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I remember a bought a Brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee 15 something years ago, and it's factory "anti-theft" device was that you have to have the left turn blinker depressed when you started it . . .

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
YES, you should. I woulnd't go too far out of your way, unless you live in a metropolitan area. But take some extra measures, and keep them to yourself. The best anti-theft system is a well kept secret.

Reactions: 1 user

Hemihauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2010
On 7/24/2010 some *ss tried to grab my 86GP out of the drive way. Still has the factory GM alarm-it was enough to scare them off. Had another one in the garage being worked on, so I left it outside. By the time i got to the front door all i heard was a car racing off and unfortunatley none of the neighbors were around. SO WHEN U THINK UR SAFE-watch out. So I would answer yes-u should worry about it get stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor