Side mirror stud repair?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Would anyone think he could use a helicoil on it? Just WAI ( Wild A$$ Idea)
I thought about a Helicoil, but was wondering how well they work on pot metal. Plus it's not solid like a full insert.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I thought about a Helicoil, but was wondering how well they work on pot metal. Plus it's not solid like a full insert.
Jack, I don’t think a threaded insert would work well in this application as they are designed to collapse when set. The excess material after they collapse is designed to flare out behind, say, sheetmetal for example. This is what keeps it from pulling back out.
In an application like this that is a blind hole, the insert would just bind up and possibly break the hole boss. Not the ideal situation.

I’m with the others, I believe filling and re-tapping the hole(s) or using HeliCoils would be the best course of action in this situation.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, I don’t think a threaded insert would work well in this application as they are designed to collapse when set. The excess material after they collapse is designed to flare out behind, say, sheetmetal for example. This is what keeps it from pulling back out.
In an application like this that is a blind hole, the insert would just bind up and possibly break the hole boss. Not the ideal situation.

I’m with the others, I believe filling and re-tapping the hole(s) or using HeliCoils would be the best course of action in this situation.
D,
What I had in mind was something in the way of a Time sert which doesn't expand like a nut sert or something in that respect. I have used Helicoils on a VW cylinder head. Worked like a charm.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
The Time Sert kit looks like it would definitely work, yet the issue might be cost.

As an example... This Amazon supplied kit is 75 USD. A simple tap and die kit and use corresponding sized studs would be much less
Screenshot_20230901-172806.png

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Of course you can use the kit later on for other items, yet still a little high front end cost for a simple repair. But as you explain, it should work.

• Agree

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Time Sert kit looks like it would definitely work, yet the issue might be cost.

As an example... This Amazon supplied kit is 75 USD. A simple tap and die kit and use corresponding sized studs would be much less
View attachment 227259
It's a nice kit, but as you said, it's bit pricy for one simple repair. For less money you can probably find a decent replacement mirror.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
A much cheaper solution than the expensive, elaborate insert kit.
No one is gonna see it once installed and I'm willing to bet it would be as strong or stronger than the original pot metal threads. I would epoxy the stud right into the casting, no drilling or tapping involved.

OG JB Weld is one of my favorite products.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor