Side mirror stud repair?

MakeMineaMonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2018
RI
One of my side mirrors was knocked off yesterday. It looks like the two studs that bolt it to the door didn’t “break”, but actually came out of their respective holes. I can see any break, but it also doesn’t look threaded unless the threads all sheared off. Is there a known way to repair this? Are there new studs you can buy? Fill, drill, and tap for threaded rod? What size? Weld in new rod? Anyone have experience with this?

BA776146-99F9-4585-A059-7A551E452798.jpeg 8AD14D7B-B060-4A33-9620-E89DFF8EF56D.jpeg 7C92015A-D777-42F1-8521-60CFB5CA742E.jpeg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A metric tap & blue thread locker if the mount holes didn't get all the threads shaved out when the studs pulled out.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A metric tap & blue thread locker if the mount holes didn't get all the threads shaved out when the studs pulled out.
And if they did, I'd say panel bond

Reactions: 4 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I wouldn't use threaded rod. Better to use stud. Typical local hardware store will have this. Plus you can find off sized studs such as 5/16 x 1/4 x 2" or 8mm × 6mm x 50mm. Course or fine thread. You want fine thread to go in the holes, course though the door. Use the nylon lock nut and don't over torque.

A good epoxy then drill and tap and thread locker like suggested. All you are doing is replacing the threads that got pulled out, then just reattach it to the door.

You are fortunate that all the structure is still present. When the bosses get torn off, you have to rebuild and reset it to install the stud, and a lot of times repair doesn't take very well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
On the damage to the mirror...

Wash with dish soap and water. Clean out the scratched up areas with small stainless steel wire brush.

Sand area of repair with 80 grit then 120, then 220. Clean area with a little alcohol or acetone, and fill with spot putty sand with 320 once dry. You might have to do several applications as you want to do in light layers.

Once you get the scratches filled sand to 320 and then to 400. Spray whole thing with filler primer and sand 400/600. Then primer sealer and sand to 600. Duplicolor should match it if OEM.

Sounds like a lot, but if done right you will have good looking mirror reattached.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
That happened to my driver side mirror. It pulled the threads out when it happened. I just tapped it to a bigger size, threaded a longer bolt into it with the strongest thread locker (red I think) so it will never come out, cut the bolt head off to make it a stud and bolted it back on the door. It's been tight ever since.

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Another solution would be to use a threaded insert, Drill and tap it oversize, install the threaded insert and reinstall the stud.
On my wagon's rear hatch handle, which is also pot metal like the mirror, I used JB Weld and re-tapped it. It seems to hold pretty well, to my surprise.
I ended up using an S-10 handle which uses larger bolts. I made an insert using a piece of steel tubing. Threaded it to fit the oversize and tapped the inside of the tubing to fit the proper size bolts. Worked like a charm.
Thank you again to my friend Mich (Mikester) for sending me the S10 handle.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Another solution would be to use a threaded insert, Drill and tap it oversize, install the threaded insert and reinstall the stud.
On my wagon's rear hatch handle, which is also pot metal like the mirror, I used JB Weld and re-tapped it. It seems to hold pretty well, to my surprise.
I ended up using an S-10 handle which uses larger bolts. I made an insert using a piece of steel tubing. Threaded it to fit the oversize and tapped the inside of the tubing to fit the proper size bolts. Worked like a charm.
Thank you again to my friend Mich (Mikester) for sending me the S10 handle.
Would anyone think he could use a helicoil on it? Just WAI ( Wild A$$ Idea)

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I'm thinking helicoil would work just fine. Having not done it in this application is why I didn't suggest it.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor