Size of 85 Cutty headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
What size lights will fit an 85 cutlass? I was looking on e-bay and some of them are listed as 4 x 6 and some are listed as 4 x 6.5 ... So which one is correct? Will the 4x6 fit? I measured mine and they look to be closer to 4 x 6.5 to me.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
These bulbs are standardized. Check the bulb no in your owners manual...then find that no when you order. Just buy them at Advance or Pep or AZ, save the freight.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
A tape measure is a wonderful thing...

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
A tape measure is a wonderful thing...

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. According to my tape measure they say 4 x 6.5 ..... however, on e-bay some sellers have 4 x 6 lights that are supposed to fit the Cutlass (but I'm not buying into that). So I'm just going to hold off until I can find some 4 x 6.5's in the style I'm looking for (the H4 all clear euro look, not sealed beam like the factory units).

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
They don't list the bulb code on their Ebay page? I think the rectangulars are all the same size except for the really small ones for a 93-96 Camaro.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Hmmm.... It may be that they are referring to the same thing, and the guy who omitted the .5 is only doing it because that's what he thinks most people want to see. Carparts.com is a big company, so they would probably allow for a return if they do not fit. I dunno though. I have thought about doing this to mine, but have also seen issues with aftermarket headlights in Mustangs and imports which make me thing twice. They sometimes don't seal well.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Ah, to repeat, there is a bulb number for every bulb. No need for all this drama.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
It's the same thing - some people just call them 4x6 because, well, they're lazy I guess. The H4 housings I bought were labelled as 4x6 (I got ones locally without the city light most ebay ones seem to have).

The bulb numbers are listed in the second auction:
"This is a 4656/4651 Euro low/high beam conversion kit"

Also, just so you know - you don't need the conversion harnesses - you can just repin the bulbs as H4's use the same connectors. Note that you may need to get a headlight harness kit as even the smallest 55/60W bulbs may overload the breaker in the factory wiring (mine did and they were cutting out).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor