Slotted or Drilled Rotors, the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrlee said:
Just my .02 here.

Fom the research I've done, the slots will keep the brake pads surface from glazing aka the slots basically act as a shaver thus for regular street use, not really feasable. Racing is best suited for.

Now drilled rotors on the other hand is different. They do keep the rotors cooler.

Real life, Proof in point. Once had a min-van. I was goin through rotors due to warping every 15k. Turned out the mfg to be unamed, didn't equip the vehicle with strong enough brakes and basically warped from too much heat/cool down. This was documented btw.

So i got fed up did the research and placed drilled rotors on it. They lasted on the same pads and rotors for over 60k when I sold it. Rotors were still in perfect shape and the thing stopped with more positive feedback than stock.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

long before you hit 60k those cross drilled holes were filled with brake pad material and although you didn't notice there were spider cracks leading from the crossed drilled holes which is caused by uneven heating and cooling created by the holes

We must consider that the manufactures are well aware that the cracks in these rotors happen, but yet they make no effort to stop them. I am also going to point out that if these rotors are so "bad" then surely at some point there would have been a major issue with them that would have gotten some sort of media attention. To each his own but there is no way that a manufacture is going to produce a product that constantly fails and still be in business, that defys economics.

Three differents of rotors including the mfrs? I don't think so. When it comes to brakes I never skimp on quality and buy the cheapest. So say what u will.

When u use ceramic pads, dust is not an issue. There might of been spider cracks, but I didn't see em or they weren't detectable to the naked to the eye.

Btw my cuerent car has drilled rotors, 50k amd still goin strong. I as well as the mechamic inspect the brakes on every tire rotation.

My personal experiences say they are good as long as you don't skimp on quality for the pads/rotors.

I put a set of "PowerStop" drilled rotors on my El Camino.( Bendix titanium pads) We just did a 300 mile road trip up and down the mountains. Lots of 7 % grade hills.
I felt that the brakes were better and did not seem to fade coming down the switch backs .
So Far So Good... 🙂

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 362
sh1ft said:
We must consider that the manufactures are well aware that the cracks in these rotors happen, but yet they make no effort to stop them. I am also going to point out that if these rotors are so "bad" then surely at some point there would have been a major issue with them that would have gotten some sort of media attention. To each his own but there is no way that a manufacture is going to produce a product that constantly fails and still be in business, that defys economics.

That's not true at all. Go read manufacturers sites about drilled rotors - Go see what Willwood and Stoptech have to say about drilling rotors. They say they are for looks, for weight. Go look at "real" race cars. They don't have drilled rotors. Drilled rotors dont usually fail because they are mostly sold on street cars that are rarely driven hard. People that actually race their cars and abuse their brakes *know better* and remove the drilled rotors. They don't fail because they suit their intended use.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspensi ... olved.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor