Small inverter welders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I just searched for USA welders and practically every one turned out to be imported. I do have some Fornay stuff and like them, but their inverter welder is made in Italy. But my ancient HF stick welder was also made in Italy. Out of the box it did not work. I opened it and found the main power cable was not connected to the transformer. YIKES! But after I fixed it the thing has been very reliable. Then I found the Kickhorse USA welders. looked great. But turned out to be what one reviewer called "A good grade of Chinesium via Canuckistan". So I really hoped Lincoln or Miller or Hobart made a cheap unit but this very nice one from Lincoln is $1600! My big heavy Lincoln gas MIG was only $400. 1659891383985.png

Last edited:

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
I don’t think cheap and Miller should be in the same sentence. I do know that Lincoln and Hobart both have models that are made overseas. And there all priced like there made in USA. I have spent the last few weeks looking at welding and I finally choice An Everlast. I’m getting a multI process welder that actually comes with a mig torch and pedal for the same price as a Hobart MiG still uses 30 year old technology.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I don’t think cheap and Miller should be in the same sentence.

I should have said "inexpensive" rather than "cheap". A welder can be inexpensive while I am cheap. If I had no welders at all I would invest in one of these amazing new models. There was nothing like these when I was buying mine years ago. But I think a simple stick welder should not cost as much as a used car. All I need is a low amp unit I can leave in my garage and not sweat it being robbed. It looks like an import is the only thing that is going to fit that usage. I guess a unit for around $100- $200 is not a big loss if it grows legs or craps out on me. But as I said, I mostly use a 1/16" 6013 Easy Strike rod, 40 amps or less, 110 volts, and I dislike digital readouts. A lot of units I see are shooting for 200-300 amps and that makes no sense. The duty cycle would be 10 %. I think 0- 100 amps would be all I need with a simple amperage dial. The cooling fan would be the most important feature. Some look too small to be effective. I liked the imported-for-Lincoln ARC 120 but the price is all over the map. But customer support would be great. 1659965936355.png

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So Century and Marquette are now Lincoln owned companies. I guess these are the imported-with-Lincoln-badging products. Or maybe still USA made? I found some good deals- maybe this is the way to go.

Lincoln Electric Completes Purchase of Century Welding and Cutting, and​

Battery Charger Businesses from Clore Automotive​

Oct 31 2003

Download PDF

CLEVELAND, Oct. 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Lincoln Electric Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: LECO) announced today that it formally completed the previously announced acquisition of the Century welding and cutting equipment, accessories and battery charger businesses of Clore Automotive LLC. The acquisition also includes the Marquette brand of welding products.
The Century and Marquette branded products have leading positions in the automotive after-market and retail DIY channels and will become part of Lincoln Electric's WCTA (Welding, Cutting, Tools & Accessories, Inc.) business unit, which serves the retail and professional products channel.
Lincoln Electric is the world leader in the design, development and manufacture of arc welding products, robotic arc-welding systems, plasma and oxyfuel cutting equipment. Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, Lincoln has operations, manufacturing alliances and joint ventures in 18 countries and a worldwide network of distributors and sales offices covering more than 160 countries. For more information about Lincoln Electric, its products and services, visit the Company's Web site at www.lincolnelectric.com .
SOURCE Lincoln Electric Holdings, Inc.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, I searched and searched and finally I found some used newer Century and Marquette welders. The sellers kindly took lots of photos from all angles. There it was- MADE IN CHINA. Sigh. I guess Lincoln bought those well known American companies and shipped the factories to China. Same old story. Probably still better quality than some unknown brand made by Yuck-Foo trading.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Soooo.... there are two welders that I am eyeing. The Marquette Auto Pro 90S, and the Century 120. Both are imports but under the Lincoln banner. They have identical specs and only differ in appearance. The cooler looking one is $50 more. So I found some deals that are hard to beat, and of course that means they could be scams, so I did a test order. I need some MIG wire and I disliked the Chinese junk I unknowingly bought so I am going back to genuine Lincoln MIG wire. I ordered a 12.5 lb spool of .025" L56 wire for a good price. If it comes through with no problems I will then consider ordering a welder from them . Stay tuned as this may get interesting.
1660075613435.png
1660075412763.png

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I ended up just getting 80 amp from H Freight, needed project done. Plan to try it out tomorrow. One up plus is it has the tig unit for an extra $80.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
just found a welder deal on Craigslist. guy is selling a lightly used Lincoln 180 ProMig 220v unit, with HF cheap cart, and a 55" tall cylinder bottle of Argon/CO2 with regulator. wants ~800. what confuses me is that no one has bought it and it's been posted 4+ weeks. saw pics, talked to owner, I'm confident but what am I missing?
brand new unit is $770 at Lowes with discount, so is this really a good deal or not? would anyone else snap up this deal? I'm thinking $700 or less for unit, cart, and bottle

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I've noted with CL, the good deals go quick. If it's been on for 4 weeks and no one has pulled the trigger? I would be suspect. The cheap cart is only like $49, and if the new unit is $770... The math doesn't add up ...IMHO. If me I would go look at it and if it's serviceable, doesn't need major repair, I'd probably go in with $500 offer and see where it goes from there.

Then also, why isn't he turning back the bottle to get his deposit back?? Did he "borrow" from previous employer??

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I've noted with CL, the good deals go quick. If it's been on for 4 weeks and no one has pulled the trigger? I would be suspect. The cheap cart is only like $49, and if the new unit is $770... The math doesn't add up ...IMHO. If me I would go look at it and if it's serviceable, doesn't need major repair, I'd probably go in with $500 offer and see where it goes from there.

Then also, why isn't he turning back the bottle to get his deposit back?? Did he "borrow" from previous employer??
claims to be second owner, bought this 3 yrs ago thinking he'd use it more, but hasn't since he has "Bobcat" on the truck (?). sent pics of under the lid and serial # sticker, very clean, including the laminated specs sheet and no paint scratches. unit appears to have been built in April 2007. says bottle still has a lot of gas. is also willing to show it works if you come to inspect (which I will)

the 180 ProMig is $850 at Lowes, minus 10% Vets discount so $770. $45 cheap HF cart, he added the bottle and regulator himself, bottle should still be cert'd. and 55" tall Argon/CO2 bottles aren't cheap

I've been on CL for several years looking as well as at swap meets, so I know how hard these good deals are hard to come by. and it's been online for almost 2 months? yeah, the math doesn't add up but sometimes this happens. but that's also why I'm here asking "WTF?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor