Smog/air pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
I was wondering on the smog pump is the pulley supposed to move? I was given one and won't turn......so wondering if it's seized and if so can I unstick it?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
GM says: NEVER LUBE AN AIR PUMP or get liquids in it. If it's siezed, you should replace it. They may know something we don't. Probably because it will pump oil mist into the system and ruin cat converters and junk.

Yes. It should turn easily, but not spin like a pinwheel. It's obviously a pump, so you should feel it ever so slightly move the guts inside, but it's such a lightweight pump it doesn't take much.

Unfortunately, they're not supposed to be rebuildable by the common man, but I've never had one apart. If you muck with the plastic filter fan in front and try to remove it, you'll damage the seal. If you remove it, you'll likely damage it. And imagine that, the new filter fans are not available. So I can't tell you anything more than what you have is a siezed up A.I.R. pump. MAYBE you can get it to work? I have no idea.

With few exceptions, the 307s from 81-86 use GM p/n 7838575.

Saw an NOS one on ebay for nearly $300. Ouch.

The lowest priced pump (rebuilt) I could find was $155.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3741128688...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Cardone- 32-220 or NAPA- NAP 51220 (out of stock at NAPA)

They're getting harder to find. Partly due to lower demand, and mainly because people tend to throw away good cores. I'm starting to think my plan of keeping and using stock parts was now a pretty good idea.

Reactions: 2 users

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
GM says: NEVER LUBE AN AIR PUMP or get liquids in it. If it's siezed, you should replace it. They may know something we don't. Probably because it will pump oil mist into the system and ruin cat converters and junk.

Yes. It should turn easily, but not spin like a pinwheel. It's obviously a pump, so you should feel it ever so slightly move the guts inside, but it's such a lightweight pump it doesn't take much.

Unfortunately, they're not supposed to be rebuildable by the common man, but I've never had one apart. If you muck with the plastic filter fan in front and try to remove it, you'll damage the seal. If you remove it, you'll likely damage it. And imagine that, the new filter fans are not available. So I can't tell you anything more than what you have is a siezed up A.I.R. pump. MAYBE you can get it to work? I have no idea.

With few exceptions, the 307s from 81-86 use GM p/n 7838575.

Saw an NOS one on ebay for nearly $300. Ouch.

The lowest priced pump (rebuilt) I could find was $155.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3741128688...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Cardone- 32-220 or NAPA- NAP 51220 (out of stock at NAPA)

They're getting harder to find. Partly due to lower demand, and mainly because people tend to throw away good cores. I'm starting to think my plan of keeping and using stock parts was now a pretty good idea.
I see figured that much but I do appreciate the response/knowledge

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
See this post. Mine was seized. I fixed it, and it's been working ever since. Once I had it open enough to see what was inside, I was able to gradually loosen and clean it without WD40 or any other lubricant.

Edit: I remember that I didn't completely separate the back (painted black) from the front housing. It slid on a center rod, far enough that I was able to get inside to clean, but I didn't want to force it apart & risk damaging something.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
I might have one for you. I’m switching my 87 442 over to a 350 olds and won’t be using the smog system. I’ll have to check it out when I get home in a couple days

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
i took mine apart on my 81Vette and cleaned the insides, put it back together and works fine (no noise at all and it sucks! They are real easy to take apart, just don't go crazy mit das hammer or the screwen drivers to pry!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor