Smoke from steering column???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
not good so i will drop column and check things just ordered a new ignition switch!!!!
That might help if it's melted, but it's usually the wires and spade pins that are in the blue and black connector. You'll see.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Highly doubt it's the turn signal switch, I'm talking about the plastic connectors with all your 12v wires that push into the ignition switch on the steering column.

The two at the very top of this pic, this is my whole dash harness I pulled out when I did my SS.

DASH HARNESS.JPG

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
are there any replacement wires and spade pins sold or what?Thanks
Can find the whole connector in a junkyard on another car, quite a few GM cars have the same one. Clip the whole thing with about 12" of wire, and replace what's damaged on your car. Unpin the current one, take out the bad, splice in the good.

Then again that is if this is what the problem is, you don't know until you get in there and actually find it so until then I wouldn't be throwing money at random sh*t but that's just me....

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
S10, Camaro, few others have the same exact connector and switch, all the way into the late 90s. Quite a bit to work with. Out of all the ones I've seen tear up it's the red 12 constant wire in the blue connector. Gets loose on the Switch blade and melts everything around it.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
If I'm that far into my column, I'd replace everything that's bad. Basically a rebuild. It's gonna be apart so now is the time. One and done. Then you can scratch that off your list. It may not have been the next thing you wanted to do to you car but it looks as though it's moved to the top of your list.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Lots of options for replacement parts.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor