So just exactly what does the OBD I ECM do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
After CeeTeePee mentioned the presence of an O-2 sensor, I actually elected to go back and take yet another look at that schematic. And there it was. What was also interesting was that I never encountered that sensor during my purge of the electrical debris left over from the dead ECM that I had to deal with. I did find the sensors but most of them had no wiring attached to them, making them about a dead as the ex-parrot from Monty Python.

As for the idle, the ECM does have an active terminal for the fast idle kicker, #950 and a terminal for the idle speed motorHi Et Output but no communication wire attached to it; meaning that the capability is there, just not the immediate need.

It also looks like the ECM probably did have overall control over the distributor, meaning to me that the timer my motor came with was not what had been in there from the factory. Not surprising since the dead ECM would have crippled the ability of the distributor to function properly.

All of this is not terribly surprising; the motor that came with the car when I bought it was not correct for the year of the car. While it was a 305, it had the one piece rear seal and matching crank. The heads also had the center bolt rocker covers. When I did locate and score an 85 305, it had the two piece rear seal in the #5 main cap, the crank flange was different as were the rocker covers and everything I had for the older motors fit. Right now the orphan mill is sitting on an engine stand and would make either a good street rod motor for someone on a budget, or a great boat anchor, literally. As I noted somewhere previously, I am not the second, third, fourth, or even possibly the fifth owner of this car so finding non stock or non original parts is almost inevitable.

Anyway, moving on.......................

Nick

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
After CeeTeePee mentioned the presence of an O-2 sensor, I actually elected to go back and take yet another look at that schematic. And there it was. What was also interesting was that I never encountered that sensor during my purge of the electrical debris left over from the dead ECM that I had to deal with. I did find the sensors but most of them had no wiring attached to them, making them about a dead as the ex-parrot from Monty Python.

As for the idle, the ECM does have an active terminal for the fast idle kicker, #950 and a terminal for the idle speed motorHi Et Output but no communication wire attached to it; meaning that the capability is there, just not the immediate need.

It also looks like the ECM probably did have overall control over the distributor, meaning to me that the timer my motor came with was not what had been in there from the factory. Not surprising since the dead ECM would have crippled the ability of the distributor to function properly.

All of this is not terribly surprising; the motor that came with the car when I bought it was not correct for the year of the car. While it was a 305, it had the one piece rear seal and matching crank. The heads also had the center bolt rocker covers. When I did locate and score an 85 305, it had the two piece rear seal in the #5 main cap, the crank flange was different as were the rocker covers and everything I had for the older motors fit. Right now the orphan mill is sitting on an engine stand and would make either a good street rod motor for someone on a budget, or a great boat anchor, literally. As I noted somewhere previously, I am not the second, third, fourth, or even possibly the fifth owner of this car so finding non stock or non original parts is almost inevitable.

Anyway, moving on.......................

Nick

Each division had a different method for controlling idle speed. Chevy used a simple A/C kicker solenoid that was wired to the A/C compressor and P/S system, Buick used a computer controlled electric motor driven plunger, and Olds used a computer controlled vacuum diaphragm.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Each division had a different method for controlling idle speed. Chevy used a simple A/C kicker solenoid that was wired to the A/C compressor and P/S system, Buick used a computer controlled electric motor driven plunger, and Olds used a computer controlled vacuum diaphragm.

And people wonder why we got corporate engines and a bunch of Divisions died off...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor