Some consolation sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Me, again, Was able to get your console picture to enlarge and that gave me a great view of how you have your shifter set up. Being in the middle like that and about exactly in the physical location where the auto-stick would have sat is beautiful. Mine, on the other hand, sits off centre and slightly further forward so everything is fighting for room. it almost looks like you have some variant of the old Muncie tunnel mount manual shifter/linkage to get the positioning you have. I have an 80's Camaro manual shifter that works with the Saginaw 4-speed and looks like that but it is no Hurst for shifter throw and crispness. Currently it is attached to a Saginaw but I have no plans to use the assembly.

No expert here but the image I'm seeing indicates a later model 5 or 6spd internal rail shifter style transmission (T5 variant or T56) vs. an external linkage manual trans.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Okay, your pictures helped a lot....need to see whether or not I can harvest the desired front flange from it to be repurposed as the front mount for the modified console body. With it in place that gives me a starting point to set the console in place and figure out where the back mount has to move to to work again.
I included the tape measure in the picture to show relative dimensions. I bet you could grab something to use instead of the shifter base. I have second console that had no breadbox. Let me see if the brackets made it into the console box for safe keeping....

The trans is a Tremec TKO, internal rail shifter. Fbody T5 comes up in about the same place.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
P9300009.jpg

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
This is a stock console. View attachment 135244

This pic shows the exact set-up one of my previous 2dr Malibu's had.

Another El Camino I had (that was purchased for parts), I removed the manual trans required parts to use on an auto trans equipped car. It had just the shifter pad & boot only w/no console as it was a bench seat vehicle.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm glad this subject poped up again cause it reminded me to look for a 2nd gen firebird console. I changed the bellhousing to get rid of the angle the transmission was at so I could use an old firebird console.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That is an old pic Steve posted. That was when I had the shifter mounted at the tail housing like a Muncie or ST-10 would be. It was still a Saginaw trans but mounting it that way allowed me to have the '77 Firebird console map tray fit right up against the ash tray spot. I later moved the shifter to where it belonged on our cars. That meant cutting the floor again and also cutting the map tray shorter to fit under the dash. Both ways I needed to take those console mounts off the floor and re-weld them to where they lined up with the screw holes in the console box. That was the only way to get the console stable enough to stand up to abuse.
1580784030556.png
1580783925862.png
1580784285816.png
1580783988548.png

Attachments

• 1580783947900.png
    1580783947900.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is an old pic Steve posted. That was when I had the shifter mounted at the tail housing like a Muncie or ST-10 would be. It was still a Saginaw trans but mounting it that way allowed me to have the '77 Firebird console map tray fit right up against the ash tray spot. I later moved the shifter to where it belonged on our cars. That meant cutting the floor again and also cutting the map tray shorter to fit under the dash. Both ways I needed to take those console mounts off the floor and re-weld them to where they lined up with the screw holes in the console box. That was the only way to get the console stable enough to stand up to abuse. View attachment 135287 View attachment 135284 View attachment 135286

I knew that was a picture of your console but I knew it wasn't current because of the black backed gauges. I remember you got the silver gauges and you were happy about that

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
For Gnvair, what I want to end up with will very closely resemble what appears in the picture you posted. The transmission is a Muncie M20+ with a Hurst Competition Plus stick. I had to cut the tunnel hole from scratch to properly accept the shifter mechanism while keeping the opening as small a possible. The factory metal shroud that would be plug welded over the hole falls into place over the opening with more than enough meat to do the welds without being short of material to attach to. Your picture shows the leading edge of the console as butting up fairly closely to the back wall of the shroud. As you did, I will likely opt to create some custom tabs or brackets to act as the front mounts for the console. I dug out the old auto-stick assembly from its hiding place and can use that for reference for the measurements. The back mount is going to have to be moved. I have a sneaking suspicion that when it got installed in the first place it was not positioned correctly, just where it would work and left that way. Don't think it was plug welded into position; probably perimeter tacks only. A little gentle attention from my Dremel tool and it should be free as a bird. I can rust coat and prime the shroud before I mig it in. Just for the sake of wondering, does anyone known to members of this board offer the manual version front console mounting bracket or is this something that would have to be harvested from a wreck??

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Bonnewagon, thanks for posting additional and updated pics. Nice fit and finish. Surprised that the Firebird console fit in as tightly and factory looking as it did given it being a F-body part being stuffed into a G-body cabin but if it works...…………….

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor