Some what confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I may be missing something... but, what is the benefit to changing a steering shaft? Just for new joints? I dont get it
2 main reasons:
-No "rag joint" in the design
-Increased header clearance

Technically speaking, both of these are negligible depending on your application. A stiffer intermediate shaft isn't going to fix a worn steering box and tire rod ends, and even a wide Buick V8 with headers can clear a stock intermediate shaft, let alone a small block Chevy. If you've replaced all of your steering components and you still want a more solid feel, and you don't want to buy a new rag joint, then a Jeep/Astro shaft is for you.

I don't mean to sound sour because I know this is a popular move, but I just wasn't too impressed with mine. I switched back to the stock style and it treats me fine at my skill level.

Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Thanks, I thought maybe it was something I wasn't seeing. I wasn't thinking about the shape of the steering components in my last 6 gbodies and more just thinking about my current 1 owner car which is probably the only one that didnt have a loose column or shaft, leaking gearbox, etc.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Finally got my power steering system ALL replaced and boy what an improvement. Used the SS/GN steering box, Timo22 s shaft,new pump ,hoses, and pulley. Thanx to everyone that gave me advice or sold me parts.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor