Some what confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I spent hours reading through old threads on improving my 79 Elco steering. Info overload causes ME confusion. My steering is slow and sloppy. Any part #s on an 800 box and specific years and models of doner vehicle for the shaft would be a giant help. It's power steering.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I believe this is the correct box. They came on SS monte's, H/O's, and GN's. My 87 cutlass actually has an 800 series box which is weird....but that's towards the ends of our beloved full frame RWD cars. I'm pretty sure my cutlass received a hodge podge of parts since it was built in June of '87.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...305cid+v8,1056372,steering,steering+gear,7416

In regards to the steering shaft, don't waste time on a factory unit. Go yard hunting for an astro van or cherokee shaft. Shouldn't cost you more than $15-20. The cherokee unit is more of a bolt-in unit, where as the upper knuckle on the astro van needs to be removed and spun 90°. Here is a pic of my astro shaft after some welding, sanding and paint.
20170220_154629.jpg

I'm sure others will chime in, and if i have the box part # wrong somebody please correct me.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I believe this is the correct box. They came on SS monte's, H/O's, and GN's. My 87 cutlass actually has an 800 series box which is weird....but that's towards the ends of our beloved full frame RWD cars. I'm pretty sure my cutlass received a hodge podge of parts since it was built in June of '87.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...305cid+v8,1056372,steering,steering+gear,7416

In regards to the steering shaft, don't waste time on a factory unit. Go yard hunting for an astro van or cherokee shaft. Shouldn't cost you more than $15-20. The cherokee unit is more of a bolt-in unit, where as the upper knuckle on the astro van needs to be removed and spun 90°. Here is a pic of my astro shaft after some welding, sanding and paint. View attachment 66507

I'm sure others will chime in, and if i have the box part # wrong somebody please correct me.
Thanx, about the shaft though,is it a small square Cherokee or a Grand, any specific years?

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thanx, about the shaft though,is it a small square Cherokee or a Grand, any specific years?
Oops, i hit post before putting the years. If i recall you wanna look for the early 90's square body cherokee. The shaft is available new on rockauto if you can't find a used unit. Do a search here as this topic has been covered a bunch.

Also, there are a few guys here that should have modified astro shafts ready to ship. PM Timo22....he usually has them stocked and ready to go.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Oops, i hit post before putting the years. If i recall you wanna look for the early 90's square body cherokee. The shaft is available new on rockauto if you can't find a used unit. Do a search here as this topic has been covered a bunch.

Also, there are a few guys here that should have modified astro shafts ready to ship. PM Timo22....he usually has them stocked and ready to go.
I've got a stock steering box on my 79 Elco, is a swap to say an 87 Monte SS model a simple bolt in? Or are there mods or special tools needed?

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
There are raves out there (some by the companies selling them) for the Borgesson Delphi 600 steering box which apparently comes in either 14:1 or 12.7:1 ratios. Some users allege it has "rack and pinion" qualities but I'm not completely sure they know of which they speak. Original Parts Group advertises them in their El Camino - Monte Carlo catalog but they're more than $600. I've seen them from others for under $400. They may have come OE on some vehicles but you'd have to find a guru to know which vehicles. Sorry I didn't bookmark any of the websites I found mention of them. Google is your friend.

Good luck and be sure to report back. It sounds like this box, if it lives up to its hype, is just what you're looking for. I've got an 86 Elco project I'm considering for one of these...

Cheers - Gary

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Don't mean to be a fly in the ointment, but I need to state that the Jeep shaft isn't always a sure-thing. I purchased one a few years ago from a scrap yard hunter and while mine was nice and solid at Jeep length, at G-body length it had play in it and also required the steering wheel to be re-centered. Some assembly required, your results may vary.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I may be missing something... but, what is the benefit to changing a steering shaft? Just for new joints? I dont get it

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the Delphi 600 box, the difference between that box and the G body box is the Delphi 600 has a rack and pinon style servo instead of a recalculating ball. Mine is matched up with an Astro/Safari van. If you going to install a Delphi 600 box you'll want your caster set at 4.5 - 5°

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor