Somewhat new user here, thanks for having me!

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Hi everyone, my name is Jonathan Troyer and I own a 1978 El Camino that I've already done some work to but has a long way to go. I need to redo some of that old work because I now know more than I used to, and as you know- plans change. I've gotten quite a bit of information from you guys over the years and I'm very grateful for that. I hope to be able to share some of my knowledge and help others the way I've been helped.

The rules stated that a formal introduction such as this was unnecessary so I just jumped right into conversations without a second thought. Well, after thinking about it I decided that I needed to show a little respect for those who came before me and built this place into what it is today. I apologize if I was rude- I don't wish to step on any toes here because you'll be seeing a lot of me.

Here are some pics of the sad, current state my ride is in, as well as a few stats. She has a 355/th350, the factory highway geared rear, a nose from an '82 model, Cutlass power seat, and some other modifications that I'll get into when I have a chance to write up a build thread. I have a small mountain of parts just waiting to be installed, but it seems that many of them are dependent on another part that has yet to be removed or replaced. For instance, the body mounts are preventing me from finishing the rear suspension or the exhaust because the body is on the frame crooked and 2 bolts have yet to be freed. I currently only have a cell phone and typing up a garage build thread and a car build thread on it is hard to get excited about. However, I look forward to sharing the process with you guys in the near future. To be honest I haven't even touched that car in 15 years but it's time for me to get it together and show the world what I'm capable of. IMG_20230921_021935330.jpg IMG_20230921_022104891.jpg IMG_20230921_021907088.jpg IMG_20230921_021509947.jpg
Please forgive the mess, as this 24x30 building has been used as storage only for many years. Believe it or not it took a lot of work just to get to what you see here- there are still about 6 trash bags of beer cans beside the mower.

Attachments

• IMG_20230921_021557997.jpg
    IMG_20230921_021557997.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230921_023036289.jpg
    IMG_20230921_023036289.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Hi everyone, my name is Jonathan Troyer and I own a 1978 El Camino that I've already done some work to but has a long way to go. I need to redo some of that old work because I now know more than I used to, and as you know- plans change. I've gotten quite a bit of information from you guys over the years and I'm very grateful for that. I hope to be able to share some of my knowledge and help others the way I've been helped.

The rules stated that a formal introduction such as this was unnecessary so I just jumped right into conversations without a second thought. Well, after thinking about it I decided that I needed to show a little respect for those who came before me and built this place into what it is today. I apologize if I was rude- I don't wish to step on any toes here because you'll be seeing a lot of me.

Here are some pics of the sad, current state my ride is in, as well as a few stats. She has a 355/th350, the factory highway geared rear, a nose from an '82 model, Cutlass power seat, and some other modifications that I'll get into when I have a chance to write up a build thread. I have a small mountain of parts just waiting to be installed, but it seems that many of them are dependent on another part that has yet to be removed or replaced. For instance, the body mounts are preventing me from finishing the rear suspension or the exhaust because the body is on the frame crooked and 2 bolts have yet to be freed. I currently only have a cell phone and typing up a garage build thread and a car build thread on it is hard to get excited about. However, I look forward to sharing the process with you guys in the near future. To be honest I haven't even touched that car in 15 years but it's time for me to get it together and show the world what I'm capable of. View attachment 228350 View attachment 228353 View attachment 228352 View attachment 228351
Please forgive the mess, as this 24x30 building has been used as storage only for many years. Believe it or not it took a lot of work just to get to what you see here- there are still about 6 trash bags of beer cans beside the mower.
No foul.... No harm.

Scot from N.Tx.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Looks to be a good foundation. 15 years is a long time. Sometimes the hardest part is getting started. Maybe start with something easy like cleaning everything out of the inside. That might branch into putting the steering wheel on which in turn leads to tackling those body mount bolts and so on. A little at a time and you'll see progress. Just sitting in the car again will start to motivate you to do that one little thing. You've kept it all these years. Just think of how much fun it will be when you're hitting the streets.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Looks to be a good foundation. 15 years is a long time. Sometimes the hardest part is getting started. Maybe start with something easy like cleaning everything out of the inside. That might branch into putting the steering wheel on which in turn leads to tackling those body mount bolts and so on. A little at a time and you'll see progress. Just sitting in the car again will start to motivate you to do that one little thing. You've kept it all these years. Just think of how much fun it will be when you're hitting the streets.
Thank you, and you're right about getting started being a main hurdle. I'm also trying to do too many things at once. I took the steering wheel off to clean the plasticizer that leaked out of the grip and all over the seat/floor. I have a refurbished floor-shift steering column in storage that's compatible with the Jeep steering shaft upgrade, I just need to contact the Ostrich and see if he still has any. I've already got the Jeep gearbox, correct pitman arm, and Edelmann 71074 P.S. line but still need the accompanying pump. I need to replace a previously perfect dash because my knee obliterated the radio surround and bent the entire section surrounding the lap cooler. The floors are bad, the smuggler's box is really bad, and I think the windshield channel is going south as well. But in time it'll be a boulevard bruiser.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor