Sound deadening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I know this topic has probably been beat like a dead horse, but I'm hoping to get some feedback and suggestions regarding inexpensive (*cheap) sound deadening material. Preferably an alternative to Dynamat.
I figured while I had the interior and headliner removed, this might be a good time to add sound deadening.
I realize that there's many different brands out there. Just want to hear your experiences
Someone recommended a product that Home Depot sells called "Quick Roof". It's also a foil faced rubberized asphalt product...and cheap.
Has anyone used this stuff? I know Lowes sells a similar product called Peel & Seal. There's Fatmat, Second Skin, etc, etc.
The bottomline is that I'm on a budget and want to achieve this without breaking the bank.

iameggor

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2011
Montana
i've tried peel and seal crap... in stinks and doesn't seem to work well, I used 100 feet of fatmat that it is pretty nice for the same price you would only get 30 feet of dynamat. Amazon sells fatmat at different sizes for pretty cheap, the 80 mill stuff is the best but more expensive then the 50 mil.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Hey Jack, Merry Christmas.
I bought a 50 ft roll of B-Quiet® Extreme, 1.15mm (45mil) thick For the El Camino
I had some left over,I figured you would need at least that much or more for the wagon.
It's super sticky and even sticks to the inside of the roof. I put it everywhere in the truck I could reach. I like the stuff, but its $ 86 a roll If you buy more it's less per roll. http://www.b-quiet.com/

Attachments

• extremefullres.jpg
    extremefullres.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,451
  • z24_2_1.jpg
    z24_2_1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,419

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
iameggor said:
i've tried peel and seal crap... in stinks and doesn't seem to work well, I used 100 feet of fatmat that it is pretty nice for the same price you would only get 30 feet of dynamat. Amazon sells fatmat at different sizes for pretty cheap, the 80 mill stuff is the best but more expensive then the 50 mil.

Thanks man, I appreciate your input and recommendation. A friend of mine also suggested using Fatmat due to the price differential between Dynamat. It's allegedly just as good.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
tc1959 said:
Hey Jack, Merry Christmas.
I bought a 50 ft roll of B-Quiet® Extreme, 1.15mm (45mil) thick For the El Camino
I had some left over,I figured you would need at least that much or more for the wagon.
It's super sticky and even sticks to the inside of the roof. I put it everywhere in the truck I could reach. I like the stuff, but its $ 86 a roll If you buy more it's less per roll. http://www.b-quiet.com/

Hi Paul,
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you, too. Thank you for your recommendation, pics, and link to b-quiet.
It sounds and looks like nice stuff. I plan to do the roof, floors, and maybe inside the doors for added muffling.
I'd like to do this as effectively and cheaply as I can. I don't want to make a mistake and use a product that I'll later regret using.

iameggor

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2011
Montana
I noticed a huge difference and my car came with an acoustic package from the factory, I did double layer in a few spots where i thought might make more of a difference. post some pictures when you decide on what to do:)

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 1,718
  • 530583_10150797676852845_1160372560_n.jpg
    530583_10150797676852845_1160372560_n.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 1,668

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks again for your advice and posting pics. I will post some pics once I decide what to use and installation in progress.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I used Lizard skin in my Regal. They have two products, one that is a temp/acoustic and one that is acoustic only.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
I used dynamat extreme (8 years ago) in my SS and Fatmat in another project car back then. Same audio setup in both cars and the Fatmat performed just as good as the ridiculously over priced Dynamat. Fast fwd 8 years-Fatmat now has a complete line at very reasonable prices. I recently used the 80 mil thick "rattle trap" in my project Elco, and have some waiting to go in my malibu. A trick that worked great for me was to clean the flooring, roof area ect, use a green scotch brite to really scuff the area. Then I cleaned with acetone and brushed on a nice coat of Chassis Saver. When dry, it left a really smooth slick surface that acted like a super magnet for the peel and stick Fatmat. Best to cut and apply on a warm day. I let mine sit out in the sun for a couple hours prior to install. This made it really easy to work with-especially around the contoured areas...

Elco Warren 8)
80z :twisted:

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I used Gtmat, i should've spent the extra $$ for the 80 mil stuff but it went in good on the floorboards and roof and it made a difference compared to nothing. 8) Heat does help alot and cleaning the metal good as well. I bought the 100sq ft pack and had plenty left after doing the floorboards, doors inside and out though inside was a pain!!, roof and side panels. i think i should have enough left to add a second layer to the floorboards..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100sqft-GTm ... eo&vxp=mtr

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor