CUTLASS SP2P carb options?

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
So, been rethinking intake options for the Olds 260 as it comes out of hibernation in a few weeks.
Have a SP2P intake for it, new dual exhaust and a trans rebuild planned.
Looking at the SP2P I see it has a dual pattern carb mount on it.
SP2P.jpg
The Holley 390cfm carb has been recommended as a good unit for this application, but then I saw this from Holley:
"This carburetor is calibrated for use on V-6 and small V-8 engines. This carburetor is a “square” flange carburetor and should NOT be used with adapters on “Spread-Bore” type manifolds, since adapters on may affect cylinder-to-cylinder fuel distribution. "

So now what? The floor of the SP2P is so flat any carb will need a spacer plate for the linkage to clear the intake.
Anyone done this, or run a spacer under a 390 Holley? I would think getting the carb up off the intake would add some plenum volume and actually create a better transition from the carb discharge area to keep fuel in suspension better than a plop onto a flat intake floor?
Other than a custom tuned quadrajet, what's a guy to do?
There's this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1932
which would make the two become one.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 390 should work with less restriction on that SP2P intake than a factory 4 hole iron intake. Use the Edelbrock adapter, probably the best one available.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor