Speedhut Gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  1. Did you buy or make that casing for the gauges?
I made it, using an under dash radio mount like this.
1580055023845.png

IMG_2042.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

KGB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2016
I was thinking more like modifying your factory dash piece to house all of your gauges but it would require using aftermarket gauges to replace your current factory ones (Speedo, volts, fuel)
The first dash I did many years ago was in my 81' Regal and then a similar set up for my 83' Monte
View attachment 134548

I quite like the look of that. But like I said, this isn't anything insanely fast. Just my daily driver, with a few upgrades. I don't really need a bigger speedo or tach. Before I bought any gauges I went on the forum looking for ideas, and I'm pretty sure I saw that picture of your ashtray gauges. But after having mine under the dash like I did, I wanted to put them up where I could see them.

I've never been a big fan of the A-pillar pods. I feel like I'm trying to look "rally" style. That's cool on a rally car, but not on mine. Once I make some headway on the damage to my arse end, I'll make up a nicer pod that'll enclose the gauges and hide the wires. That's also why I used Velcro, so it was easy to take off when it came time to change it.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
IMG_9853.JPG

Not the best pic, but here's another option. As you can see, removing the ashtray was not an option for me. This pod is made of steel, then upholstered. It's a no drill install, as it has a tab on the left side that attaches behind the factory gauge surround, using a factory screw.

Reactions: 5 users

KGB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2016
Very nice interior man. That's pretty much how I wanted to run them, except all four down the side. Seeing it set up like yours gives me some ideas. If I have time at work tomorrow, I'll make up something of a template.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I quite like the look of that. But like I said, this isn't anything insanely fast. Just my daily driver, with a few upgrades. I don't really need a bigger speedo or tach. Before I bought any gauges I went on the forum looking for ideas, and I'm pretty sure I saw that picture of your ashtray gauges. But after having mine under the dash like I did, I wanted to put them up where I could see them.

I've never been a big fan of the A-pillar pods. I feel like I'm trying to look "rally" style. That's cool on a rally car, but not on mine. Once I make some headway on the damage to my arse end, I'll make up a nicer pod that'll enclose the gauges and hide the wires. That's also why I used Velcro, so it was easy to take off when it came time to change it.

I have a double pod in my truck. I like it because I don't have to really take my eyes off the road. I didn't have many options and under the dash didn't appeal to me.

Reactions: 1 user

84MonteLS

n00b
Feb 23, 2020
I'm putting some autometer gauges in my 84 Monte right now and I wanted a clean look in the factory location so I burned this out of ss. It fits two 3 3/8 an three 2 1/16 gauges.

Attachments

• 20200223_103119.jpg
    20200223_103119.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
  • 20200223_110956.jpg
    20200223_110956.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 147
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I did a similar set up for my Monte but in aluminum.

IMG_0456.jpg
IMG_1457.JPG

84MonteLS

n00b
Feb 23, 2020
That looks great. Once my gauges come in I'm going to mock everything up and see how the finish looks. I have the dxf file saved so if I dont like it I can burn it out in aluminum or steel if I would rather a painted finish.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I'm putting some autometer gauges in my 84 Monte right now and I wanted a clean look in the factory location so I burned this out of ss. It fits two 3 3/8 an three 2 1/16 gauges.
I think it would look good in a satin brush finish which shouldn't be difficult as it's a flat plate.

• Agree

rafael martinez jr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2017
new jersey
my friend gave his whole dash out of his pontiac gran am with the gauges i was thinking of taking the gauges out and using them in the stock malibu dash of insted swapping out the dash look into jegs and they want to much money for a piece of plastic to put gauges in thinking of making my own with sheetmetal or see if anyone makes it cheaper also i changed the tach with the shift lite

Attachments

• 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 165
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor