Speedometer goin nanners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reubster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2009
Yeah i got a 78 regal and my speedo works fine till i get to like 70 n sometimes it just rages n starts bouncin up n down.. also if im at 75 n accelerate quickly it shoots to 85 n i keep gainin speed n it drops back to 75? im thinkin its just a gear, someone told me its a gear inside the speedo itself, but i hace a gear box under the hood for it.. anyone got a suggestion on which to look at first?

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Try taking the speedo off the cluster and get some lubriplate back there and just give it a couple brushes. Mine's doing the same thing and that's what I was told to do.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Reubster said:
Yeah i got a 78 regal and my speedo works fine till i get to like 70 n sometimes it just rages n starts bouncin up n down.. also if im at 75 n accelerate quickly it shoots to 85 n i keep gainin speed n it drops back to 75? im thinkin its just a gear, someone told me its a gear inside the speedo itself, but i hace a gear box under the hood for it.. anyone got a suggestion on which to look at first?

The gear box under your hood is the cruise control transducer. It's not a terribly expensive part, but I'm willing to bet one of your speedometer cables is starting to bind. You can unscrew the cables where they connect to the transducer and pull the metal cable itself out of its sheath- just make note of how far in it sits before you pull it out, so when you put it back in you can make sure it's seated all the way into the speedometer (upper cable) or transmission (lower cable). Inspect the length of the cable for debris, rust, and fraying. Light rust is okay, just clean the cable, apply lube (available at parts stores), and reassemble. If it's heavily rusted or starting to fray, replace the assembly (sheath too).

nola504boy

Apprentice
Feb 15, 2010
atlanta ga.
supercrackerbox said:
Reubster said:

The gear box under your hood is the cruise control transducer. It's not a terribly expensive part, but I'm willing to bet one of your speedometer cables is starting to bind. You can unscrew the cables where they connect to the transducer and pull the metal cable itself out of its sheath- just make note of how far in it sits before you pull it out, so when you put it back in you can make sure it's seated all the way into the speedometer (upper cable) or transmission (lower cable). Inspect the length of the cable for debris, rust, and fraying. Light rust is okay, just clean the cable, apply lube (available at parts stores), and reassemble. If it's heavily rusted or starting to fray, replace the assembly (sheath too).
is that your regal in your sig if so its clean!! :lol:

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Lol, no it's actually a photoshop I did a few years ago of what I want it to look like. The actual car is far from clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor