speedometer is off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2010
My speedometer is off by 15 mph. At 55 I'm actually going 71 or 72 mph. The rear end appears to be stock. Any ideas on other things to look for would be great!

montecarlo-ts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2010
tire size would throw it off. i dont know what causes mine to be off but since i put in my last th350 the speedometer wont go over 45 even if im going 80. maybe something isnt hooked up right.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what he said. what trans do you have? the 350 is easier to change/check the gears on. also, you need to find out what rear ratio you have. jack up the rear and put a chalk mark on a tire and the driveshaft. in neutral, rotate the driveshaft and count the turns it takes to get one tire rotation. this works best on a posi rear as both tires will turn. if it's a non posi, i believe you divide your result by 2. or you have to mark the shaft and slowly move the car, on the tires/ground, and have someone on the ground to count the turns. the safest way is to push the car on level ground.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor