Speedometer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtaa9

n00b
Jun 1, 2012
I own a 1986 Monte Carlo . My speedometer is off by 20mph. When the speedo is reading 45mph I'm really doing 65mph. What would be the problem here? Also my fuel gauge isn"t reading right either. I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
The speedo is simple, just need to change out the gears in the tail housing to correct for it being off. Search around there is a calculator that will help you figure out what gears you need for the tire size you are running. Check the power and ground wires at the tank for the fuel gauge, either its a bad sender, loose wire or bad gauge.

gtaa9

n00b
Jun 1, 2012
My car has the V6. I know that the 200-4r trans was in both LS SS models. Is the speedo gear differant from the LS v6 and the SS V8 models? If so what color is the V6 and the V8 gears? I had the trans replaced years ago. Im thinking that I have V8 200-4r trans.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
It has nothing to do with V8 or V6. it's the rear end gears. So I'm guessing the car your transmission came out of had a different ratio that your car. Do you still have the old one, if you do you can just swap the speedo gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor