Speedometer stop working today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy913

G-Body Guru
Feb 26, 2016
New Orleans
it can't, I posted that cause you left us hanging in your thread about the tire rub...:p

for a speedo it usually gives you some indications something is wrong before it stops working, like a squeak or the needle is bouncing
Lol and my tires are to wide

Rudy913

G-Body Guru
Feb 26, 2016
New Orleans
Just replaced my speedometer cable earlier this week. Assuming it is the cable here that is the problem here are the best steps I can provide in writing. Make sure to rule out any other possibilities before replacing it. My car is a column shift with sweeping style needle, so if yours is different take this for what it's worth.

1. Disconnect cable from the trans side
2. If your car has a tilt column tilt it all the way down. Remove gauge plastic trim, it should just pull right off but be gentle and try to pull it off evenly.
3. If you have a column shift remove the black speedo trim and clear plastic. Screw heads are 5.5mm
4. Disconnect the gear selection needle from the housing by pulling the little spring off of the plastic gauge housing. I just let mine hang off the cable it's attached to.
5. Unscrew the two 7mm screws from the trim piece below the steering column that allow you to drop the column. (You don't need to actually drop the column)
6. Unscrew the 8 or so 7mm screws that hold on the bezel. Remove the bezel.
7. There are 4 more screws that are 7mm that hold the the gauge cluster in. Remove these.
8. Pull the gauge cluster forward and out of the housing. You might need to get under the hood and push the speedo cable into the cab to help give you room to get behind it. (Be gentle on the back as the back of the cluster has the electrical wiring board plastic stuff on it.)
9. There is a clip that holds the speedo cable on the cluster. Reach down from directly above it ( at 12 o'clock position). Press this clip in and twist and pull the cable off.
10. Connect your new cable till it clicks or is firmly in place and won't pull off and reassemble in reverse of these steps.

Here are also some things to remember and some tips of things I wish I had done to make my life easier.

Make sure you pull the cable spring completely out of your new cable and lube it up. I used basic ball joint grease so there are probably better lubes to use. But it seemed to work for now.

When you disconnect the cable from your trans just leave it where it hangs. I'd tie the trans side of the old cable to the speedo side of the new cable using string or para cord. This way you can just pull your old speedo cable out from under the hood while routing your new cable in the factory way.

Once you have it pulled from under the car and into the engine bay. Cut the old speedo cable off maybe a foot or more away from the firewall using snips or pliers. Pull the rubber grommet from the firewall and place it on your new cable. Once you have the grommet on your new cable. Move it down far enough so you got some slack to work with. ( I had to cut a slice into the grommet to get it to fit.)

Once again tie the cut end of the old cable to the new cable using string and probably some tape. Then go into the drivers seat and pull the old cable out through the dash until you pull the new cable to where you can attach it to the cluster. Reinstall the grommet.

Sorry it's a bit long winded but I hope this helps you out.
Is the cable connected to the cruise control ?

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Yeah with cruise they have two cables ,
But when i unscrew the cable and twist the little peice my speedometer moves a little

Where are you twisting the cable at? Transmission side or cruise control side?

I'm just guessing here but if it's working from after the cruise control to the speedo it maybe something wrong with that module. If it's from the transmission side maybe it's the speedo gear on the trans itself.

Rudy913

G-Body Guru
Feb 26, 2016
New Orleans
Where are you twisting the cable at? Transmission side or cruise control side?

I'm just guessing here but if it's working from after the cruise control to the speedo it maybe something wrong with that module. If it's from the transmission side maybe it's the speedo gear on the trans itself.
I was twisting from cruise control

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
I was twisting from cruise control

Try twisting it from the end of the cable that attaches to the transmission. If it works then it could be the speedo transmission gear. I've never messed with that before but I think they aren't too expensive and aren't difficult to install. Though don't take my word for it and research it a bit before taking it apart.

If it doesn't then I'd guess the cruise control module is the cause of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor