Spindles are the same for all G bodys right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyatt

n00b
Mar 16, 2017
i bought some dropped spindles for a 78 malibu and the bearing did not fit so i am guessing i can get a bearing to fit the i.d. of the rotor and the o.d. of the new spindle i bought (advertised as g body 1980 and up.). what is A2 or A3 mean?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
i bought some dropped spindles for a 78 malibu and the bearing did not fit so i am guessing i can get a bearing to fit the i.d. of the rotor and the o.d. of the new spindle i bought (advertised as g body 1980 and up.). what is A2 or A3 mean?
A2 and A3 are different part numbers. Different sized bearings.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
blazer spindals are the exact same dimensions, but you gain larger brakes (2 piston) and sealed bolt on hub. now it has to be the 2wd blazers

In the course of my career as a collision repairer, I have seen many more problems with sealed hub/bearing assemblies than tapered roller bearings.
The later hub/bearings are essentially the same (albeit usually larger) as the old ball bearings used in cars up through the late 50s. MANY of these were updated to tapered roller bearings as the OEs moved to using them. As I recall, the ball bearings were not very good at taking side loads.

• Winner

wyatt

n00b
Mar 16, 2017
A2 and A3 are different part numbers. Different sized bearings.
looks like the a2 bearings are too small for the new drop spindles and the a3 fit the spindle fine but don't fit my rotors. now maybe i can find new rotors since its the only option left for a 1978 i guess.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Watch out because the wheel studs changed from US thread to metric in 82, I think.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
I have a stupid question. but if you had a 78 malibu (I do), Couldn't you just install 1980 malibu spindles on it ?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have a stupid question. but if you had a 78 malibu (I do), Couldn't you just install 1980 malibu spindles on it ?
Yes you can. You'll need to have the brake rotors & wheel bearings for '79 up as '78's used one year only parts.

• Agree

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Okay so I can just buy spindles,rotors, hubs,bearings, for a 1980, can I also buy the entire front suspension for a 1980 and install it on the 78 ? I plan on running 15x7 rims.

I'd rather not have to go to the parts store and explain that I have a 78 malibu with 90 something blazer spindles, etc..I think it would be much easier (for me at least) to just ask for 1980 malibu parts.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Okay so I can just buy spindles,rotors, hubs,bearings, for a 1980, can I also buy the entire front suspension for a 1980 and install it on the 78 ? I plan on running 15x7 rims.

I'd rather not have to go to the parts store and explain that I have a 78 malibu with 90 something blazer spindles, etc..I think it would be much easier (for me at least) to just ask for 1980 malibu parts.
You can use '79 to '81 as the year car at the parts store as long as you're staying with inch thread wheel studs. Other than the rotors ('82-'88 used metric studs) you can use any year/model between '79-'88 for the suspension. Your '78 suspension is the same as other years.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor