Spray gun for interior trim pieces ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
You have to keep in mind due to many factors like sun fad, age, different dye lots, color match will never be 100%. Even when new not everything was a 100% match. I've got some dark maple off them years back & it was a good match.
Yea I’m not looking for a 100% match, my b pillars are faded hard on the upper portion plus I’m looking to add kick panels from a computer car so I can put my Holley computer behind the pass side. The door panels match up nice so I’ll be happy if the rest looks the same, for a complete match I’d have to repaint everything lol

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Back in the day I had two different spray guns. A Binks #7 and an Eclipse detail gun that I bought at a swap meet close to 45 years ago. They worked well for what I needed to spray. Acrylic enamels and even water based clears for wooden doors for my house.
Not sure what year but my wife bought me a Devilbiss Starting Line set from Eastwood. Never looked back. Not expensive guns but theyve worked really well. First time I used an HVLP gun and I gotta say Im glad she bought them for me. I used them to spray my firewall in base/clear, everything I did in Hot Rod black. No issues getting used to using them.
The set she bought came with a 1.0 detail gun and also larger gun. The detail gun is what I used to spray EVERYTHING with SEM Color Coat. It does a great job of atomizing the paint. Huge difference over a rattle can.
I had an issue with the large gun a few years ago. It was sputtering when I was trying to spray. I called Devilbiss and explained the problem. They sent me a new set of guns. FREE !!!!!!!
Now I use one detail gun for adhesion promoter and the other for color. Much easier than trying to clean one gun between the timed coats. Plus the adhesion promoter comes out of a spray can like crap.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Yea I’m not looking for a 100% match, my b pillars are faded hard on the upper portion plus I’m looking to add kick panels from a computer car so I can put my Holley computer behind the pass side. The door panels match up nice so I’ll be happy if the rest looks the same, for a complete match I’d have to repaint everything lol
If you get someone that can do a good match on SEM with the right spray gun you can easily blend the color. It has to be a really fine spray. Almost like a mist. I used the detail gun I have to spray the dash of my daughters 2003 Tahoe we were selling. One of my daughters dopey friends scuffed the dash with his shoe and thought it would be a good idea to peel the tan off. I sanded it with some 600, sprayed the adhesion promoter on and blended the color in. It was a perfect repair.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've used the Harbor freight touchup gun to paint interior pieces. I think it does an awesome job, and it's cheap and will definitely pay for itself. I'm on my second one, the first one broke an unreplaceable part. I've also used the De Vilbis Finishline touchup gun, also with good results.
In my opinion, you can't match the same results with spray cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor