spring removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I was wondering exactly what type of spring compressor I need to get the front coil springs out. It looks almost impossible to get any type of tool on the inside or outside of the spring with what little room there is around the spring.

Thanks for the help!!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You need an internal spring compressor. You get it in the shock hole, IIRC. It may be that you need to do it in pieces, or part of it through the side with the spring at full droop, then compress it by jacking under the ball joint when you are done putting it in there. This saves a lot of needless tightening under pressure. It also must be noted that this is easier to do when there is an engine in the car. Then, when you get it pretty well compressed, lower the jack from under the ball joint. This will show you if you have it compressed enough to safely disassemble things. I would loop a chain loosely inside the spring and tie it off to the car before you pull out the spring. This way, it minimizes the danger should it all go wrong at the wrong moment, and may save your life. There is a lot of stored energy present in a suspension spring, after all.

85cutlass

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2007
Oceanside, NY
what i did was i took the brakes and spindels off took a crow bar wedged t on the spring and popped it off just be areful of ur face. thats what i did if it helps.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Ok that makes sense, of course there is no engine in the car. Now I just have to get the rusty *ss shock out some how.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Usually, I end up using a 4.5 in cutoff wheel on my angle grinder when I have a stubborn top shock stud to loosen. Even here in FL where things do not rust bad and 20 year old cars can have their suspensions removed with a cheap socket set the shocks are sometimes hard to remove. I had to do it on a set that were only 2 years old. Works great to chop out old sway bar end links too!

85cutlass

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2007
Oceanside, NY
wut i did with the crappy old shocks was take a i think it was a 15mm socket on a long extension and bent the nut and stud foward and backwards till it completely broke off and the bottom ones should come out easily with a breaker bar. thats what i did so if it helps go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor