Spring/Shock setup???

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2007
moroso springs

did cutting the springs the full coil effect the way it felt on the track or the spring rate? I was looking at the same springs for more cutlass or would it be easier to run different springs for the front?

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
i love the comp 3 ways in my bu, no sway bars front or rear, and it drives just fine on the streets...

Clanceman427

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2010
West Chester, PA
Hi, from my experience, and a friends Chevelle, the Moroso trick front springs do drop the front end. I put the Moroso 47205 front coils in my car, Moroso says they are for G body, 1660-1720lb front end weight range, and 242 lbs/in.

I put these springs in before I built the car, and when I finally weighed the front end with me in it in full race-ready trim after teching-in, the car was actually 1920lbs in the front. My car sits lower in the front, and also has an abnormality, the pass. side has about 5/8" clearance between the lower bump stop and the frame, whereas my driver's side is basically sitting on the bump stop/ zero clearance between bump stop and frame. I'm wondering why this discrepancy, and looking at the frame and suspension nothing seems bent or damaged. I recall when I installed them that I was dilligent on clocking the spring relative to the lower spring pocket's drain hole(s) correctly. I wonder if the isolator got misplaced upon installation? But this wouldn't attribute 5/8" of difference, right? I have to investigate more, I'll never know until I pull them and check the rate so that I know both are the same spring.

I highly recommend weighing your front end in race/street ready trim before ordering any springs.

Kevin

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
I got them for the front and rear. just havent popped in the rears yet and im doing the fronts when I do the a arms.

Ill reply back when thats done if i remember.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Clanceman427 said:
Hi, from my experience, and a friends Chevelle, the Moroso trick front springs do drop the front end. I put the Moroso 47205 front coils in my car, Moroso says they are for G body, 1660-1720lb front end weight range, and 242 lbs/in.

I put these springs in before I built the car, and when I finally weighed the front end with me in it in full race-ready trim after teching-in, the car was actually 1920lbs in the front. My car sits lower in the front, and also has an abnormality, the pass. side has about 5/8" clearance between the lower bump stop and the frame, whereas my driver's side is basically sitting on the bump stop/ zero clearance between bump stop and frame. I'm wondering why this discrepancy, and looking at the frame and suspension nothing seems bent or damaged. I recall when I installed them that I was dilligent on clocking the spring relative to the lower spring pocket's drain hole(s) correctly. I wonder if the isolator got misplaced upon installation? But this wouldn't attribute 5/8" of difference, right? I have to investigate more, I'll never know until I pull them and check the rate so that I know both are the same spring.

I highly recommend weighing your front end in race/street ready trim before ordering any springs.

Kevin

those springs are even lighter than the lighest soft spring large bar set up we used in circle track racing...as for the discrepancy have you put the car on scales to check the weight of each corner?....the isolator wouldn't be causing that much of a difference and it may be something in the back suspension that's affect the left front corner....you can get spring rubber to increase the spring rate..

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=31

Clanceman427

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2010
West Chester, PA
Yeah, the spring rates are real low, but Moroso explains that these trick springs are taller than stock, with smaller diameter wire, so that it can store more potential energy for weight transfer at launch.

I agree with your point about rear suspension influencing front, I will look into that, as I do use an air bag in the rear passenger side for launch. I'll deflate it and take some rear suspension measurements too.

Kevin

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the rules permit there is a hump on the rear side of the lower that you can cut off and patch to give more room between the lower and frame....

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
i also have Moroso trick springs front and rear with Competition Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks. they re waiting to go in. prob get them in next week.

Clanceman427

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2010
West Chester, PA
took some measurements last night on the rear suspension and pass. side is .5-1" higher than the drivers. That might be why the front is low on the drivers side, thanks for the heads up. I'm not going to mess with the rear suspension because it's working great at the track, just looks weird at rest but hey, it's level launching down the track and that's the important thing!

Kevin

Attachments

• CIMG0178.JPG
    CIMG0178.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,694
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor