springs (again, i know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
not looking to start a huge topic. just making sense of all the info i have arranged in my mind as of now.

i will be cutting the front springs to get around 2" of drop. i determine how much i need to cut to get 2" by taking the difference in height of extended and compressed spring divided by the # of full coils, that equals inches of drop per coil. am i correct in that? if not, correct me please.

now for the rear. the moog 5413's give about 1" drop in the rear for $63.
does any other moog rear coil give more drop? any other brand of springs for rear give more drop for the same amount of money.

just getting my ideas straight especially for the front, because i don't want my uncle and i to have to do this over. anybody have any lowering springs for sale? just rears for sale? any help is apreeciated.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
fwiw the factory springs were extremely soft and set up to ride like your favorite couch for grandma blue hair. (346lb spring rate) Even the GN/442/MCSS only had a 420lb spring rate which per their weight is about like most passenger cars today. If you want to drop her you will benefit even more from a spring that is firmer. Moog has springs cheap why not use the 5658 spring which has a 579lb spring rate ie firmer more like an f-body only not harsh or bouncy. It will have a drop from the original factory ride height of an inch plus and it will not roll over on curves near as much. Especially if you add the rear sway bar if you don't have it and the thicker front bar from a salvage yard MCSS or Ttype. If you drop it much more than that you end up with a lot of annoyences such as not being able to a jack under her well more problems with scrape from crowned roads & a little speed, speed bumps, tire rub with drive entraces etc. Also some like the dropped to the ground look but most just like the lowered look. food for thought

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
do you think another possible alternative would be to get front springs from a v8 car, and then just cut those? they would be a harder spring than what i have now right? i could get them cheap at the junkyard probably. i have the 7/8 rear swaybar but the factory 1" up front if that matters any. thanks for the info.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If you get junkyard springs they will probably have lost tension and the car will sit lower because of that. The problem with them is that they have been supporting a car for 25 years and are likely no better than what you already have.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
cool. i just need to get the measurments of my springs compressed vs. free, and that will tell me how much i need to cut to get around 1.5 to 2"
anything tricky to watch out for when doing the front? also where have you guys bought your moog springs? i would rather not have to deal with shipping, just seeing where you guys have bought from.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
another thing to keep in mind is that when you cut a spring, it increases the effective spring rate. so if you start out with a perfect rate and cut a coil, it's now too stiff. or more likely, in this case, they're too soft and cutting makes the better.
i second not using junkyard springs, it's not worth it.
unfortunately when you're cutting springs, new or used, it's a gamble. you may have to do it twice no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor