Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Ok so I'm waiting to hear from my wife she's at the hospital with Lexi again and I'm here with Lauren who is supposed to be sleeping. And I'm catching up on all your threds and then some. All things considered especially how bad I got screwed on my taxes this year. I've got to go with what I can do cheap! There for decision made. A picture says a thousand words.
16378.jpeg

There's no money in the budget for much so I'll use as much as I can that I all ready have the things I don't have are as follows. A set of headers or manifolds cauf Bruce caulf I'll need to investigate some things like witch lifters and pushrods I need because the motor I'm using had a big cam and a bad habit of eating pushrods. I'll be using the jm-14-100 cam I all ready have in stock and I'll be using the aftermarket valvetraine setup all ready on those heads. Let me explain it's a motor someone spent a lot of money on at some point and I don't understand what there logic was you see it's a 73 or 74 455 with J heads and someone wasted money having them machined for larger studs and guidance plates and they have gold full fulcrum roller rockers and poly locks. Not to mention there ported but that's here nor there I need to figure out what all that stuff is so I can stop guessing and get the right parts for it to work with the smaller cam. Maybe I can get you some pictures tomorrow night if it's in the cards

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That looks like the more sturdy adapter, good. I know A body headers work for 2wd square bodies but never owned a 4wd. If not W/Z manifold's, Thornton's stainless shorty's should work. Also Hedman shorties should work even though they are for the SBO. The diesel or 403 Trans Am motor clamshell style mounts might work, are they that style? I dropped my Olds 307 in place and welded the mounts to the frame. The lines off an Olds power steering pump will fit right on the box. The JM 14-100 cam is small, hopefully they kept the compression down around 9 to 1. Nothing wrong with J heads especially ported and on a truck. The J heads have smaller CC runners than other BBO heads, good port velocity and the stupid lip under the exhaust valve like the #8, which a bowl hog fixes. Any hydraulic lifters should work. I would get a checker pushrod because I have a feeling they were using the wrong length pushrod for them to be bending. My pushrods are a 1/4" shorter than stock with an adjustable valve train. Good luck and make sure you use a closed impeller water pump like Flowkooler and put the biggest rad you can afford. Unlike a G body, air flow and rad size are not limited. Good luck.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Hope all is well with the girls.

I 100% approve of this new direction.

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I took off work today. I'm sitting in the Dr office with a sick Lauren and Janet is still at the hospital with Lexi I'm hoping after this I can start digging that motor out to kill time while waiting. Kinda clear my head.

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
That looks like the more sturdy adapter, good. I know A body headers work for 2wd square bodies but never owned a 4wd. If not W/Z manifold's, Thornton's stainless shorty's should work. Also Hedman shorties should work even though they are for the SBO. The diesel or 403 Trans Am motor clamshell style mounts might work, are they that style? I dropped my Olds 307 in place and welded the mounts to the frame. The lines off an Olds power steering pump will fit right on the box. The JM 14-100 cam is small, hopefully they kept the compression down around 9 to 1. Nothing wrong with J heads especially ported and on a truck. The J heads have smaller CC runners than other BBO heads, good port velocity and the stupid lip under the exhaust valve like the #8, which a bowl hog fixes. Any hydraulic lifters should work. I would get a checker pushrod because I have a feeling they were using the wrong length pushrod for them to be bending. My pushrods are a 1/4" shorter than stock with an adjustable valve train. Good luck and make sure you use a closed impeller water pump like Flowkooler and put the biggest rad you can afford. Unlike a G body, air flow and rad size are not limited. Good luck.
Yes I'll probably use stock BBC cooling for one of these trucks and I have a set of 403 T/A mounts

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Hope all is well with the girls.

I 100% approve of this new direction.
Me to. This is an on going thing with Lexi's mental health issues and sometimes it gets really bad but all I can do is be supportive and have faith.
As far as the decision to go olds, 1 it's cool 2 it's different 3 I have most of the parts 4 it makes room and thins out the stuff to be moved when I make my excape from the people's republic of New Jersey. Plus REO bravada W-30 crew cab sounds cool

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My youngest has been a challenge as well, threatening to kill herself and taking off because some POS guy on Christmas ruins the season but good. She took off 3 hours North to Nipawin to see some guy without telling us, hit a Moose with the 96 Tercel, somehow minor damage, good stuff. I went over how he could have been a psycho and how lucky she wasn't injured or killed by the Moose. The Tercel which holds 3.5 liters of oil was 1.5 liters low when she got home, it has nearly 400,000 km in on it, so add almost blowing it up to the list. She is almost 18, she needs to grow up. We discipline our kids especially when little but let them make more choices as they have gotten older. There are few mentally strange and outright ill people in our family for sure. I would run 20W50 VR1or similar in the 455 motor, seeing all those RPM's and I would assume the BBC rad is a 4 core. Either go with that or large 2 core with 1" or bigger tubes and add an external trans cooler as well. Good luck with everything.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I got no work done today but I feel the need to go on an inappropriate rant! However I won't I'll just say I've had enough of new Jersey!!!!! And there bs laws designed to take away constitutional rights!! I'm putting this motor in and using the truck to friggin move! Rant over that's all for now

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I got no work done today but I feel the need to go on an inappropriate rant! However I won't I'll just say I've had enough of new Jersey!!!!! And there bs laws designed to take away constitutional rights!! I'm putting this motor in and using the truck to friggin move! Rant over that's all for now
If you come to Iowa, I will put you up and help you find a job!

• Friendly
Reactions: 10 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Given your comments in #1116, I'm hoping I'm wrong about what I suspect may have transpired. Dude, get out of Jersey.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor