Squeaky Distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
So my 83 Grand Prix (Chevy 305 motor) has been making a squeaking noise for a little while (sounds like a mouse is stuck in the engine). It seems to happen when it's colder out, but that could be coincidence. I isolated it to the distributor; when it was making the noise it would go away everytime I put a little pressure on the cap. I removed the cap and rotor and everything looks and feels fine. While it was off I cleaned it out with some contact cleaner and got some dielectric grease on the moving parts. It still makes the noise, any ideas? Thanks

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
I wondering if that's what I'm experiencing! I hadn't thought of that..... Does your happen to be MSD?

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
johnny79 said:
I wondering if that's what I'm experiencing! I hadn't thought of that..... Does your happen to be MSD?

Nope, completely stock setup. At first I thought it was a belt, but the sound was not coming from the front. When I put some pressure on the distributor cap, it went away. I repeated this several times with the same result.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
are you using sideways pressure? most likely the distributor bearing is going bad.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
megaladon6 said:
are you using sideways pressure? most likely the distributor bearing is going bad.

I kind of pressed down, but probably got some side presssure on there. Is the bearing replaceable or is there a rebuild kit available for a GM HEI?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
Id just get a new dist, if it is the bearing. But pull the dist first and try to find the squeak.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
The distributor does not actually have bearings. It is either a bored hole in the aluminum housing, or if you are very lucky, it has brass bushings pressed into it. I would just pick up another one and be done with it. ...........mickey-d :lol:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
The bushing is the bearing

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
mickey-d said:
The distributor does not actually have bearings. It is either a bored hole in the aluminum housing, or if you are very lucky, it has brass bushings pressed into it. I would just pick up another one and be done with it. ...........mickey-d :lol:

I see, that's kind of what I thought it would be. I would have thought that if it was worn out, then the noise would always be there. It only make the noise when I start it up in the morning, and not always. It's not very loud. I would throw a new distributor at it, but would rather figure out if that's really the problem first. Thanks for the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor