Stainless fuel line?

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Just wanted to get some opinions on fuel lines.
I boxed the frame on my 87 442 and when I install the new fuel lines it will not have the access to fun the frame rail as stock. So I was trying to figure out if the stainless braided line or stainless sticks that would need to be bent to fit would be a better option. I have never tried to flare and stainless line but I know there are better tools than my standard flare tool I have, I believe Eastwood makes a good one. Anyway if anyone has experience or advice I’d love to hear it. Thanks

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
Just wanted to get some opinions on fuel lines.
I boxed the frame on my 87 442 and when I install the new fuel lines it will not have the access to fun the frame rail as stock. So I was trying to figure out if the stainless braided line or stainless sticks that would need to be bent to fit would be a better option. I have never tried to flare and stainless line but I know there are better tools than my standard flare tool I have, I believe Eastwood makes a good one. Anyway if anyone has experience or advice I’d love to hear it. Thanks
Unless it's a show car, I'd go for running ni-cop lines. It's easy to work with and fairly weather proof.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Well definitely not going to showing it, just trying to make it so I don’t have to worry about it in the future. Should only be out on the sunny days.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
If you're going to do stainless hard lines through the frame, this is an excellent tool. You can't do it "on car", so know that. It's sold by a few companies, Eastwood just puts their name on it (it just so happened they were selling it the cheapest at the time). I've seen it on amazon with a different tool co. name on it, but it's the same thing.

Go straight to the 8:16 minute mark to see a demo of the tool.

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Hutch thanks for your reply, I always love watching your videos, I get so much information from them. Looking forward to seeing the next harness video also. The car is still on the rotisserie and the frame I waiting for the installation of the UMI suspension kit and rear end… remember those days? And I’m just getting the plan together for fuel and break lines and tools I need to order. I appreciate your input.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just sayin...factory steel lines are holding up well in most G-bodies 40+ years later. Not always, as I've seen some northern cars that have lived a tough life, but how often have you had to replace them?

You can do stainless if you like, if you feel like working with it (i.e., potentially chasing leaks and loosening, retorquinging any fittings if you're putting in a different fuel setup, etc., etc.). Will it last and look good doing it? Sure. I'm NOT a fan of it for brake lines. No need for it, IMO. Regular Joe steel lines are WAY easier to deal with. Again, JMO.

But- the general frame rail vent and fuel supply lines shouldn't be a problem if you go with stainless. Since you're basically going from back to front with just dog nut flares for hoses, no fittings to deal with.

Regardless, I'd go with regular ni-cu fuel line from pump to carb if staying stock, because that brass filter nut won't take much beating with stainless.

Obvioiusly, it's your wallet, your time, your car. Spend to your own happiness.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
This is great feedback, I value everyone’s opinion and advice. I hadn’t worked with the stainless lines before. But after thinking about it you’re right about how long the factory stuff lasts, so it’s kinda overkill. Again nobody is going to be crawling around under the car so I’m not looking to do it for that, just wanted to put the extra effort into what would be appropriate. Thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My Monte has stainless braided hoses everywhere except for my brake lines which are steel, but the brake and trans lines on my Regal are all NiCopp, which is very easy to bend and flare plus they are not going to rust.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Never ran the braided lines, I assume you have to buy it to fit, not possible to trim it to size and then connect the fitting?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Never ran the braided lines, I assume you have to buy it to fit, not possible to trim it to size and then connect the fitting?
I buy the stainless braided hose in bulk and cut it to fit then install the hose ends.

IMG_1477.JPG

20230730_174159.jpg

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor