stalling and cutting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

86regalSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2006
lately i've been having a problem with my regal, when im driving it, it will cut out and sometimes stall. when im on the highway it'll hit a flatspot and then kick back on within seconds, and stay running. today it backfired getting on the highway and doing the same thing. sometimes when im coming to a stop it'll just stall, and ill have to restart it. it almost always starts back up.

the engine is a 388 stroker, hei ignition, with a 4 bbl quadrajet on it.

the timing is at 8* btdc, the plugs are gapped at .050". the carb was new when the engine was build 4 or 5 years ago, but was hardly ever used until i put the engine in the regal. i havnt been able to check fuel pressure so i dunno what its at. the plug wires are new, the coil, cap, and rotor are all new. i dunno what could be causing it.

oh yeah. i have a kill switch thats wired in to kill spark. i dunno if a short could be causing it to intermittenly kill it, but i guess its possible. any other ideas would be very helpful.

thanks,
jeremie

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I had a simular prob with my 305 in my old regal. I turned out to be the carb was shot. the carb was sucking air through the linkage bushings causing it to run lean/rich/lean/rich it would flat spot, backfire etc. but idont remember it stalling.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
If it is spend the extra money and put in a MSD coil while your in there.if you want to save alittle money but upgrade the module an accel will work great. they rev trouble free to around 8000rpm and are cheaper then an MSD moudle that revs to 9000+ rpm. Your motor should never hit 8000 rpm so the cheaper unit will work great. I like the MSD coils though. I noticed a big difference in starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor