stalling at startup in cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2007
I have a 84 cutlass supreme with the 3.8l. And was wondering if any one had similar problems with me in the cold. When starting it in the cold i also let it run for a few minutes before driving it, but when it is real cold the car stalls when not accelerating or not using the pedal for a little bit (going down a large hill and stopping at the bottom) Also the check engine lite is on whenever it is warming up? This is my first carberated car so im not sure if its just one of those things i need to get used to or let it warm up longer? any help is appreciated!

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
Okay, I didn't realize that in the other message. Still start with the vacuum hoses. If they're hard, replace 'em.

Check the choke pull off if the vacuum hoses didn't help. Also, the choke thermostat could need adjustment as well. If the choke is not working properly, it'll trigger the Check engine light for a while until it warms up.

Also, you may want to look at re-installing the factory air cleaner and adding a high flow air filter this way the heat riser which connects the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner to help warm up the inlet air on cold days.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
stalling at start up

i don't know if this will help you... the carb you have if it's a stock carb is computer controlled carb ccc. it's aclosed loop which means that it runs in open loop dduring start up after it warms up and meet's all of the requirement'sof thecomputer it will go to closed loop so you may have more than one problem! first with the engine cold take off the cleaner push the petal to the floor twice. the choke should close and fast idle to about 1700 rpm and run this way until the electric choke warms up you should check for 12 volts at choke. the upper butter fly should have some spring tenson on it! also you should be able to hear your mixture control solnoid clicking! i would also check the trouble codes because it might help in the dianosis of your problem . i hope this help's you... good luck :)

cuttysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2007
alright guys exactly what i needed somewhere to start, i appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor