starting my 1st 455 OLDS build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Latest update. I got around to installing my trunk carpet kit from Gbodyparts.com. I have to finish the details

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 245

seabeeveteran03

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2015
N.E. Ks.
Wow, that is a gorgeous cutlass. I have had some nice cars, and some quick cars, but never the budget to have one that is both. Paint color is perfect on yours, looks great.

Jun 1, 2015
St Louis, MO
Here is the system all bolted up and vacuumed down . It held 28 inches of vacuum for over a week. Now I just have to add some 134a and give a test

Nice! Joined this forum just for this post :) I have a 79 that had a 455 in it, all stock, no clearance issues or anything. Finally, after 15 years, getting the engine rebuilt and getting the car back on the road. Though I am concerned that with the Edelbrock heads and tall valve covers it won't fit with the AC installed. It looks like you are running Edelbrock heads and stock-ish sized valve covers. Did the builder have to do anything special with the head/valves to make those stock valve covers fit while leaving room for the AC box install or did you have to modifiy the AC box or location to make it all work?

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Nice! Joined this forum just for this post :) I have a 79 that had a 455 in it, all stock, no clearance issues or anything. Finally, after 15 years, getting the engine rebuilt and getting the car back on the road. Though I am concerned that with the Edelbrock heads and tall valve covers it won't fit with the AC installed. It looks like you are running Edelbrock heads and stock-ish sized valve covers. Did the builder have to do anything special with the head/valves to make those stock valve covers fit while leaving room for the AC box install or did you have to modifiy the AC box or location to make it all work?
Hey thanks. Tall valve covers will definitely not fit without mods to a/c box. I am running stock valve covers with no clearance issues at all. Nothing was done to the heads to fit the stock covers. I do run roller tip rockers with no problems. No modifications were done to the A/C box either. Everything fit like it was factory installed. Best of luck with your 79 . I would love to see some pictures

Jun 1, 2015
St Louis, MO
Hmmm. Any ideas what valve train is installed on yours? Really want to keep the AC and the Edelbrocks, somehow.

The car is in sad shape I'm afraid. It's been sitting for a while with no motor in the driveway. Rear floors are rusted through and I suspect the front as well. So its off to the body shop once I find one and get the interior stripped. I'll snag some pictures, but its pretty depressing. The car looks (or looked) exactly like the one in this video:
Triple black: black paint, black top, black interior with factory vinyl buckets and full gauge set, and the only one I've ever seen with an aluminum hood. I spun two main bearings in the motor, at separate times, so I found a pro to do it right this time. Blew out the 7.5" rear once, it cracked a spider gear into four pieces and locked the rear end up.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Hmmm. Any ideas what valve train is installed on yours? Really want to keep the AC and the Edelbrocks, somehow.

The car is in sad shape I'm afraid. It's been sitting for a while with no motor in the driveway. Rear floors are rusted through and I suspect the front as well. So its off to the body shop once I find one and get the interior stripped. I'll snag some pictures, but its pretty depressing. The car looks (or looked) exactly like the one in this video:
Triple black: black paint, black top, black interior with factory vinyl buckets and full gauge set, and the only one I've ever seen with an aluminum hood. I spun two main bearings in the motor, at separate times, so I found a pro to do it right this time. Blew out the 7.5" rear once, it cracked a spider gear into four pieces and locked the rear end up.
Sounds like a well opinioned car with great potential . Happy to see your not giving up on her and your going to bring her back from the dead. The valve train is stock Edelbrock . The heads came out of the box and bolted on the engine. I used Comp Cams roller tip rockers. I used Dick Miller 9.8 inch push rods. All fit under the stock valve covers . If you go back a couple of pages in my build you can see what i am talking about. I was able to remove and install the A/C box without removing the engine or taking the heads of the engine.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Haven't updated this thread in a long while. I started collecting parts for a manual transmission swap . So far I have a bellhousing and clutch pedal. Thinking about going with a TKO transmission and hydraulic thowout bearing

Attachments

• 20151120_150857.jpg
    20151120_150857.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 188

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Your gauge set up is what I want to do with my cutlass... Was it hard to do?
Not hard at all . A piece of stainless steel cut to fit and evenly spaced gauges. If you stay with electronic gauges all the wires are in the factory harness. The only real pain is the speedometer cable has to changed to work with aftermarket gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor