starting my 1st 455 OLDS build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Took advantage of the nice Sunday weather to start my winter project. I am tired of sweeting so over the winter I will installing A/C so next car show season will be a nice and comfortable one.
Removed the dash to install the duct work and A/C vents

A/C box restored and ready for install

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
made some more progress. Got the dash installed and the A/C box installed with a new evaporator. Next modify small block compressor brackets for my big block and get the rest of the parts. The will have to wait till after the holidays ( The money will be going to buy Christmas gifts)

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
dr78442 said:
Intragration said:
Hey, good to see your progress, and that everything worked out with the pushrod problem. That is one clean install, very impressive. The whole car looks great. Have you had a chance to drive it with the new motor yet?

Thanks! The 455 is running well my pushrod trouble was caused by a part miss match. Mondello sold me 3/8 pushrods and 5/16 rocker arms. I replaced the rocker arms with comp cams rocker arms for 3/8 pushrods and my broken part problem has gone away. I have been driving the car :D . It feels very comparable to the BBC that I had before. I am happy that I went back to Olds power

Awesome build. In your video, it sounds like your idle is quite smooth (which I want for my next build). How did you choose your cam? Also, are you using Accell DFI engine management? If so, how do you handle making changes to the set up? I put Accel DFI on my Z71 LT1 build and like it but he software is $1200 :shock: :shock:

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Anubis said:
dr78442 said:
Intragration said:
Hey, good to see your progress, and that everything worked out with the pushrod problem. That is one clean install, very impressive. The whole car looks great. Have you had a chance to drive it with the new motor yet?

Thanks! The 455 is running well my pushrod trouble was caused by a part miss match. Mondello sold me 3/8 pushrods and 5/16 rocker arms. I replaced the rocker arms with comp cams rocker arms for 3/8 pushrods and my broken part problem has gone away. I have been driving the car :D . It feels very comparable to the BBC that I had before. I am happy that I went back to Olds power

Awesome build. In your video, it sounds like your idle is quite smooth (which I want for my next build). How did you choose your cam? Also, are you using Accell DFI engine management? If so, how do you handle making changes to the set up? I put Accel DFI on my Z71 LT1 build and like it but he software is $1200 :shock: :shock:

Thanks. The car does idle really smooth. 750 RPM and and no choppy idle. The cam I picked was based on a car craft build of a 455. I contacted Mondello they had a cam that fit my needs. I used a Ramjet 502 engine management using all GM sensors; nothing special and all the reflashing was done by Arizona speed and marine I don't remember the exact price to reflash the ECM but it was no where near $1200 I'm thinking more like a couple hundred. Best of luck

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
I got the compressor mounted and wired. Just waiting for the proper dryer to and ALT belt to arrive. A picture to share the progress

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Here is the system all bolted up and vacuumed down . It held 28 inches of vacuum for over a week. Now I just have to add some 134a and give a test

finman04

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2011
Roseville Mi.
All I can say is AWESOME!!! Looks Great. Looking at your pics I see your running electric fans. Is that a dual setup or single and how's the running temp. I see your also running the aluminum radiator, what brand you running and how's that holding up also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor