CUTLASS Starting problem after driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Some may disagree with me, but if you're doing a new starter, get a new solenoid to go with it and replace it all as a unit. You only want to do it once.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Some may disagree with me, but if you're doing a new starter, get a new solenoid to go with it and replace it all as a unit. You only want to do it once.

You can get a solenoid on it's own but I think every rebuilt or new starter comes with a new solenoid.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
What carburetor are you using?

and you are on this forum so anything you are not sure on all you need to do is ask. If no one asked question then the forum will close up. Checking timing is not difficult but it will require you to get a timing light which isn't too expensive. The tools you buy will cost money but doing the work yourself will save you paying someone to do it.
It has a brand new Mini starter with heat shield wrap but I'm going to double-check the rap

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You can get a solenoid on it's own but I think every rebuilt or new starter comes with a new solenoid.
I haven't had to replace one in a long time. They USED to not come with them when I bought them at NAPA. Also GM/Delco starters didn't have them all the time either. You could buy the assembly or just the starter motor. But that was many many moons ago. I do recall the new Delco one I have for the 85 rebuild has the solenoid with it.

But since this is a mini starter, it doesn't always mean it's any less prone to the heat expansion issues of a standard starter. Unless it's high compression or something, even a standard starter should spin that engine without issue.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
I haven't had to replace one in a long time. They USED to not come with them when I bought them at NAPA. Also GM/Delco starters didn't have them all the time either. You could buy the assembly or just the starter motor. But that was many many moons ago. I do recall the new Delco one I have for the 85 rebuild has the solenoid with it.

But since this is a mini starter, it doesn't always mean it's any less prone to the heat expansion issues of a standard starter. Unless it's high compression or something, even a standard starter should spin that engine without issue.
it does have a high torque starter in it I was thinking maybe timing was off which I have to get that looked at I don't know how to do timing or maybe heat soak in the fuel bowl

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I haven't had to replace one in a long time. They USED to not come with them when I bought them at NAPA. Also GM/Delco starters didn't have them all the time either. You could buy the assembly or just the starter motor. But that was many many moons ago. I do recall the new Delco one I have for the 85 rebuild has the solenoid with it..

Now that you mentioned it I do remember way back when that the starters did come without the solenoid. I guess now they figure they can make more $$ selling it with.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it does have a high torque starter in it I was thinking maybe timing was off which I have to get that looked at I don't know how to do timing or maybe heat soak in the fuel bowl

when you say that the engine does not crank when hot you mean the engine does not turn over when you turn the key to start. Does it click or there is no noise at all?

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ditto battery. I just went through that. Started cold but when it got hot it acted like a starter but was the battery. It needs a load test- any decent mechanic can do it in 5 minutes or just buy one. This is one of those tools you really need to have around. It tests both the battery and the alternator.
s-l225.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor